Can't fall in love with perfect girl because of ex?

I have been dating the most perfect girl ever. She is smart, old enough for me, a college graduate, looks like a model, funny, kind, comes from a good family...all my friends and family like her.

But, I am finding it hard to fall in love with her cause for some stupid reason I am in love with my ex. My ex was evil, she cheated on me when I was away taking care of my dying brother and got pregnant with her abusive, loser, ex. They aren't even together anymore.

Every time I see my ex, I fall in love again even though she hurt me time and time again. She is the opposite of the current gf...she is stupid, puts me down, cheats (at the worst times), leaves me in a hole...

I NEED to get over the ex. This new girl is perfect. But when we have sex I am thinking about my ex, when I fall asleep I am wishing I was with my ex...

What can I do to get over this? This girl I am with now is leaving for school in 2 months so its going to end then anyways...so no need to break her heart now. But I need to be able to fall in love again with other people...

Thanks for the advice

81

Most Helpful Girl

• I was in a similar situation. My ex was a coward & jerk, but I still felt like I was stuck in love with him...

First, you should relax & stop dating for a while, & focus more time on yourself. Try to participate in more sports, parties, family occasions, etc. This will help you realize that you can live without your ex... Second, stop fantasizing about the good side of you & your ex's relationship, & focus on the bad side of what she's done to you. You need to realize you deserve more than what she offered, & that you can find someone else who you will be loyal, grateful, & loving to you.

I've been made insecure, lost, & depressed by my ex, but now I'm over his little mind tricks. Thank god.

• Thanks, I am getting there. Its so absurd isn't it? We have tons of others chasing us around and we keep obsessing over those who don't care for us...I wonder why that is a human trait.

Most Helpful Guy

• I honestly don't see how it's possible to love a girl that puts you down. When I like a girl, sometimes it's just because of the fact that she likes me back. I love being in love. But I would never like a girl that insults me and stuff, especially when there's an even more attractive girl that likes me.

• hmm, thats a great point. I didn't think about it that way.