Ex returned my stuff... Should I text her to say thanks?

We had a really short but pretty good relationship/thing. However last week she ended it. She texted me in the middle of the day with the "need to talk" line...but I could guess what it was about. She wanted to come over later that day to tell me face to face, but that seemed a bit redundant that point. (I really didn't want to wait another 4 hours just to hear the same thing face to face) She said she was sorry and I replied ok, bye.

There's been no communication since.

Today, when I got home there was a bag next to my front door with some of my things in it. I hadn't planned on requesting them back and really just thought about writing them off as lost.

So, should I text her back to say 'thanks for the stuff'.

I understand NC and moving on. And I'm not looking for a way to talk or an 'in'. But... I just don't want to come across as rude or butt hurt. Especially since she didn't have to return them, and she's actually a really kind and sweet person.

I feel like my 'ok bye' response was a little too... blunt.

Thoughts?
Thanks for everyone's feedback.

92

Most Helpful Girl

• I honestly wouldn't text. Let it be. Also, I think she's an asshole for not even texting you that she was dropping of your stuff and just left it at the front door. Who does that? Now, if you were the asshole and you did something bad to her, I would understand her. But from what you said, everything was a-okay, until she decided it wasn't and there's been no form of communication after that. Which, by the way, is very immature. You were in a relationship for god-sake, couldn't y'all have ended it on a better note?

• Thanks for your response. I'm probably not going to text/respond. Not that it makes any difference, but to clarify, we only dated a short while. Maybe the BU was too abrupt. Perhaps I should have allowed to her break up face to face. But once I got the 'we need to talk' text it seemed obvious. I asked her if it means what I think it does and she affirmed by saying, yeah, sorry. Meeting up at that point, hours later that night, just seemed redundant. She told me she was sorry again, and I was great, blah, blah. And I responded, "Ok, bye"

Neither one have us has said anything since. And I'm leaning to keeping it that way. I just don't didn't want to be rude. She could have just thrown away my stuff. So I thought a simple 'thanks' might be warranted.

Most Helpful Guy

• You should text her thank you. Even if it's bitter between you two, she still did you a solid, and did a good thing. Definitely tell her thanks...