I feel like cutting, I just got threw a rough break up. Any advice or good things to do to contain it?

I was with the guy for 2 months and we loved each other very much. My self esteem has plummeted to it's death and I've been feeling very depressed. I want to cut but then i dont. Any advice on what to do?
Updates:
Just so you guys know we were best friends for a very very long time and now he doesn't even want to be my friend.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• 2 months is not long enough to even figure out what someone is like. Let alone to fall in love to the point where you feel like cutting yourself when they leave. My guess is that there are bigger problems here than just a boy.

You'll get over it. We've all gotten over it.

0|0
    0|0
    • Thing is we were very good friends before. I've loved him for a very long time now.

• Things change. People change. The only problem is not accepting this change. Just move on. There are 3,500,000,000 more where he came from.

Most Helpful Girl

• 2 months is nothing.. unless youve known each other longer, then i understand completely. What i do when i feel like cutting are:

1. write it out. and dont just write a little of how you feel. write out EVERYTHING pages and pages and pages. describe your emotions, your thoughts, everything said. its like venting but you dont have the person you're talking to interrupt or bring in their problems. its all you.

or if you dont feel like writing,

2. listen to music. the music i listen to talks a lot about the problems that mainstream artists dont take time to put effort into. i would recommend listening to songs from Pierce the Veil, Bring Me The Horizon, 30 Seconds To Mars, Sleeping With Sirens and even some Black Veil Brides. some songs to narrow down could be (and ill give 2 songs per artist, in the order listed): A Match Into Water & Hold On Till May, Hospital For Souls & Sleepwalking, A Beautiful Lie & Do Or Die, Roger Rabbit & Low, and Lost It All & Saviour. I hope those help!

other things you could do its just leave the house. you can go with a friend or 2 but i typically stay by myself. go to a park, walk around, enjoy being outside and forget about your problems. just think about the present: where you are, the view, the weather, just anything about the present, dont let your thoughts get the best of you.

I hope one of these things help! Please dont cut. He's not worth it. no matter how much you loved him, he isn't worth putting a permanent, painful mark onto your beloved body. "Life gives you enough scars as it is. you dont need to manufacture your own" - Andy Biersack (singer of Black Veil Brides)

I hope you get through all of this well! dont do anything you'll later come to regret.

0|0
    0|0
    • Thanks! And we've known each other for way more than a year and we've been best friends for way more than a year

• yeah in that case, i totally and completely understand. im going through something similar at the moment! I know it hurts now because everything is fresh but with a little time, itll be nothing and you guys will probably just become friends again. dont fret over this. there are much bigger problems out there than a boy haha

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 10

• There are kids and adults having their country bombed and everything taken away from them, starving children and billions of other guys out there you need to suck it up it is not the end of the world I am not trying to be mean to you you are still young there are still plenty of opportunities for you to meet and have a relationship with other guys. If you do this you might miss out on college, meeting new people, adventures, careers etc.

0|1
    0|0
    • I can't believe youd say something like this. You're technically saying "people have it worse than you so suck it up". As someone who used to harm herself and that used to be suicidal thats the WORST thing you could ever say. She could be getting sexually abused, emotionally abused, or physically abused. You dont know her life.

• Show All
    • Mmkay look guys, we all have a different perspective. I understand Brittany. And to you, blondfrog, your comment didn't really help.

• I am a guy trust me I know how guys if he broke up with you he is enjoying himself right now when you get older you will know what I mean.

• Yes instead of cutting yourself go outside and punch a tree, but most importantly is be kind too yourself

0|1
    0|0
  • Why cut when you can eat chocolate and play video games and listen to music and make music and draw and learn how to program and have a walk in the nearby forest? There are SO many things that are alternatives to self-harming, I'm not even sure why people even consider it as an option.

0|0
    0|0
  • I've been seriously depressed before and I've always been something of a loner. I took up writing poetry and other short works to express myself and my sadness when I didn't want to talk.

Cutting is self-destructive, it is an outlet but there exist much better ones. Fall back on your friends or try writing! It's a great airbag when you feel you've just been in a wreck.

0|0
    0|0
  • Take the time to love yourself, I meet a lot of pretty girls who have low esteem and I tell them, to take a look at what you have in front of you and what you want to do.
    #YaFeelMe

0|0
    0|0
  • You need a rebound guy ASAP.

0|1
    0|0
    • I'm not a girl that falls for a guy just because of looks. I like guys for personality and i dont fall in love very quickly

• I didn't say any of that. Just find a guy and talk to him.

• rebound sex

0|1
    1|0
  • Play video games, that tends to help.

0|0
    0|0
  • What good will cutting yourself do?

0|0
    0|0
  • Music is good.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 6

• ok this is not a good enough reason to that to yourself because well you are still a kid, you have your whole life ahead of you and it is highly impossible to fall in love, in love at your age - there is puppy love but that is it and why cut yourself - it can not be just that - you are probably going through something else and haven't you hears the phrase there are plenty of fish in the sea...move on, life is too short.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sweetheart, don't cut yourself. I used to when I was going through a difficult situation, but it didn't solve anything. Find something that makes you happy, something you really enjoy doing to take your mind off things. Music and exercise can help relieve the stress. Best of luck.

0|0
    0|0
  • I just got through a break-up with a guy I dated for two years. I started scratching and cutting soon after. It helps to do what you love or be with people. I like writing so I kept my notepad on me at all times and wrote down why I wanted to cut and why it wasn't a good enough reason. Music also helps (just the happy stuff though.). You can also tell a best friend or your mom and whenever you feel the need just go to them for a cuddle, you don't have to tell them you are in that frame of mind you can just mention you had a bad day and would like a little love.

Also remember that no matter how amazing he was, you are your own person and can stand on your own two feet. He wouldn't want you to hurt yourself and neither do the people who are still with you and love you.

0|0
    0|0
  • 2 months? Love?
    You're under 18, you don't know love.
    I used to be like you when I was your age.
    Though I didn't cut myself.
    Scars last for ever.
    I love my skin too much for a guy that's not worth it.
    Look girl, you're going to have many bfs.
    You'll end up breaking up.
    But that's not the point, the point is getting back up, learning your lesson, and look for someone else that's worth it.
    You need to respect yourself.
    Guys come and go.
    Have fun, you have a full road ahead of you.
    This guy is nothing in your life, you're just infatuated with him.
    But I promise you, in a few years, you'll remember this guy and be like "what was I thinking? Crying all over that idiot. He wasn't even worth my time"
    Soon you'll get over him and be onto the next guy.
    Please don't cut yourself. Such a beautiful girl with ugly cuts, please stop. You're better than that.

0|0
    0|0
  • You could listen to music that expresses how you feel, sort of have a 'rage' in a book, like sort of write about how you're feeling down.. that helps me a lot. Take a deep breath, or go for a walk outside. Raining or not, just go for a stroll on your own. Don't hurt yourself over some guy you've been with for two months, it's really not worth it. Don't let a guy decrease your self esteem, it's not worth it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Don't harm yourself over a MAN (not worth it), especially one you dated for two months.
    I suggest you go hangout with friends and family to keep your mind occupied. You'll forget about him soon enough.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes