What does it mean when a guy says no but yeah after being asked Do you want me to back off?

Lately, the guy i have/was talking to for 8 months has been acting distant. We began talking to each other long distance and now he lives in the same state as me literally 45mins away instead of 6 hours by bus. I have been getting fed up with feeling isolated so today I asked him if he wants me to back off. Instead of giving me a straight answer he says "no but yeah" and then goes on to say he can't talk about it right now because he is at work. I have concluded in my mind to accept the answer as he wants me to back off and I plan to do so however I know he is an indecisive person and doesn't always see or act on things in black and white. Although I have pretty much made up my mind that he means he wants me to back off I am seeking some more male opinions.

11