Did I make the right move or am I just guarding myself too much?

I've been hurt several times. I got divorced at an early age (21) from my high school sweetheart. We have two kids together. I dated after but the girls always turned cold and crazy. I got in several car accidents (not my fault) and lost a lot of people in my life. I'm 23 now and I just dumped my current girlfriend of 5 months. Her ex from high school recently appeared out of nowhere. I was scared she would go back. So I left her. She told me all about him and I saw her look ecstatic when we bumped into him. He even told me he was glad she was taken care of but we all know who she'll end IP with.

20