Is it good to be friends with an Ex GF/BF?

Well someone close to me asked me this question and i said yes but i wanted to know what you all thing?

• Yes
  • No
  • May be
    Vote C
  • Other
    Vote D

2015

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends on the break up and also how the two started.

If the two have always had feelings for each other and never really been friends then no I don't think it's a good idea to remain friends afterwards. There will be a lot of emotions and jealousy between the two (both positive and negative) and it's not fair on any new people that enter either of the people's lives.

If the break up wasn't to do with the couples themselves than I can understand two people remaining friends afterwards - after all they were there for each other emotionally when they were in a relationship, why not afterwards too?

Generally speaking though, I don't think it's a good idea to remain friends. 9/10 it's best to go your separate ways and stay civil if your paths do cross.

What Girls Said 19

• If thete is no bitter feelings then sure why not

• "If the two have always had feelings for each other and never really been friends then no I don't think it's a good idea to remain friends afterwards. There will be a lot of emotions and jealousy between the two (both positive and negative) and it's not fair on any new people that enter either of the people's lives."

This applies to my ex and I. I still like him but we are supposedly friends now. It sucks.

• I'd say yes. you never want to really leave with hard feelings but you have to be honest with yourself and move on so your next relationship won't get sticky.

• it depends the feelings, if we are natural with him again so why not, he can be a good person to advise me on my relationships cause he knows better than anyone how I deal with things in a relationship, if I'm not natural better to add him to my dark list hahaha!

• Love is an intense emotion, not many have the mental strength to take it philosophically and in their stride. So, I don't think, on an average, being friends with your ex is a good idea.

• no no no of course no

• I think if you can be friends that's fantastic. Its rare though.

• Yes, it is good. For you guys shared a of of time, learned lessons and had some fun together that's really irreplaceable. They're memories. Besides, a boyfriend/girlfriend is only a friend who's super close to you than anybody else. When he/she became your ex, it just means that you've grown far apart.

• Yes unless you REALLY HATE the person. I was in an unofficial relationship with a guy and I found out that he was a creep. He sexually assaulted my friend about a month after we broke up. Creepy!!! I hated him and his negativity after that.

• That's the worst idea ever, you'll be hurt repeatedly. I guarantee it.

• It depends on the relationship and terms you broke up on. If you can set boundaries and your ex won't cross them then it can be harmless. If you still have feelings for each other, it can ruin your future relationships.

• ah I'd say it kinda depends on the friend and how they ended.
    they already broke up so logically there's not really too much against the moral...
    i think it's good to talk to the friend about it though. if it's a good friend u might feel bad but then if it's a good friend she/he would understand.

• No, its gonna start something in your new relationship. If kids are involved, yeah be nice and talk but no other than that

• I don't think it's good to be friends. Because in most cases those feelings still linger. And there will be jealousy.

• My ex is saying that to me I think he says it just to see if his new squeeze doesn't work out after all we only split 9 weeks ago and he moved on 4 weeks ago

• memories will come back

• I think it's good depending if you've relingushed all feelings for that person and just seem them now as a friend or an acquaintance. If they were abusive verbally, emotionally, or physically, then no, it's never a good idea to be friends with them. Same for people who abuse your trust and lie. You'd constantly have to deal with that bullshit if you agreed to be friends b/c they would still lie to your face and sneak behind your back. So it's only good to be friends with an ex if they didn't betray your trust or if you guys work on gaining the trust back and they're proving they're changed based on their actions.

• I don't know if it's a good or bad thing. If you can make it work then good for you. But it's not bad to not be friend with your ex

• I think its probably a good thing but at the same time not... depends on the people involved and the situation

What Guys Said 15

• Depends... my latest ex broke up with me on our 5 month... that alone is enough for me to get pissed off about. She did some other shit like cheating, playing around, and not taking the relationship seriously at all. She hurt me a lot and i still do not like her at all. I had to block her on everything to avoid her from blowing up my phone. I am not friends with her (duhh)

A different ex of mine i was really close with. Broke up cuz we both just didn't feel any love so we just ended it. Didn't make a big deal out of it, no drama. didn't make me mad. So im friends with her.

Also depends on if she is a crazy ex or not...

• I don't think it is necessarily bad, but it really depends on why you two broke up as far as if it's even possible.

• I am friends with almost all my ex's. Just the one or two that were bad i can't be friends with. But the latest one is always difficult because you really wanted to be with them and because i don't want a rebound gf i won't go looking again so soon. But if i can do it, why can't you? You need to just know where you both stand. Don't hope to get back together; or pretend not to and just be there to see them find their happiness. After all, if you loved them you want them to be happy. :)

• I don't know why anybody would want to be friends with an ex.

• I say no... how am i supposed to get over her when im unnecessarily talking to her? :(

• I am only friends with 1 .. I grew up with her. I hardly ever see her, I
    just check up and make sure she is ok. Nothing more

• I wouldn't it's kind of awkward to say the least, some people can do it but ehhh.

• If the both of you are in happy relationships afterwards, then you can possibly be friends, like Elaine and Jerry from Seinfeld... lol

• Friendly is good. Friends no good.

• We are all human :) after some time deep down you will understand you are not that good either :) so re connect the connection is one thing to live for before the world ends :)

• Good thing so long as that is what you both want. Plus surely amicable is better than animosity...

• Your future partner probably won't like it.

• For the most part, no. Someone will always still have feelings for the other.

• I know break ups are no fun going through since I have been through my share of them. If the break up was caused by others and not the two of you then it could be but other than that I do not believe in remaining friends with an ex. You had more time to get over her than the relationship was. At this point if you try to get with anyone else you may end up ruining the relationship since you still have feelings for your ex. You need to make sure you are over your ex before starting another relationship because it would not be fair to them. I do not see once you are in a relationship with someone how you can then see them as just a friend. The chice is yours to get back with her as friends, bf, gf or go your separate ways.

• Never, it always complicates new relationships. Burn the bridges bro.