Can ex's who were originally friends go back to being friends?

Question says it, but I was really close to my ex as friends before we dated, how can I go back to that friendship?

33

Most Helpful Guy

• It can, but not usually.
    - 75% of the time -- NO, not really (at best, just on friendly terms, which is different)
    - 25% of the time -- Yes, but it won't be all that close (unless you're looking to get back together)
    - Of that 25% of the time, if it was a Serious Relationship -- usually will take 1+ years to be Real friends again and not just friendly. Rarely will you be Real Friends shortly after a breakup.

There's so many factors involved though. If you mutually somewhat happily broke up and on great terms (which is a rare combo) -- the answer is that there's a decent chance of Yes.

If you Want to be Real Friends (again) shortly after the breakup -- you either want him back OR you feel sorry for him. Both aren't good reasons.

Most Helpful Girl

• Being you find that you were more Into him as a bud than Now as your 'Stud,' you could say, you are feeling More Comfy with the way things were Then-------Then with the new change that has taken place now.
    In order for things to Not go any further than they have, it's time to have a face to face talk with him. And if he was any kind of friend Before the 'date mate' deal, then he should be understanding as to the way you are feeling now.
    However, if he gives you the impression that it isn't really cool with him, then maybe he is what I call a----Fair weather friend.
    Good luck. xx

• Being he was your ex, and you were more at ease with friends, he may be wanting to get back into another relationship. You obviously are not for this anymore... time to have a talk.

• so this could be some closure to talk to him face to face about what happened? how long should i wait cuz i dot want him to think i dont value friendship but i dont wanna seem needy yanno? thank you by the way for all this great advice :)

• If you are the one who wants to go back to friends for now anyway, talk to him very soon... Don't wait... This would be your closure, just hope he understands. You're so welcome, sweetie. xx