Still hard to move on, why can't I let it go?

It's been about eight months or so since my ex and I broke up, and I still think about him from time to time, whenever I hear something that reminds me of him I change the station, walk away from the store and I just feel the same pain. I've been doing better than before though, but sometimes I think that this is stopping me from moving on, I've deleted him from all social media and I don't text or call him at all but for some reason he really hurt me and I'm trying to find a way to move on from it. My ex broke up with me saying that he loved me but he wasn't in love with me, and it also didn't hurt that his parents didn't like me very much saying that I was too quiet and wasn't loud enough with them. Point is we tried to make it work out again but it fell through, I miss him at times and hate him as well, any advice on how you guys deal with your own breakups? What can I do to help move on?

13

Most Helpful Guy

• It just takes time and there is no cut off point, there's no time line where these feelings will diminish. It's all about just taking one day at a time and it does get easier. Eight months is not a very long time at all, the months often feel like weeks especially as we get older, I find it staggering that we're in July already.

You just have to keep focusing on the future. Do you have any goals or objectives you want to achieve? Is there places you want to visit? Activities that you want to try out? Do you want to further your career opportunities? These are all things that you can focus on and work towards and I think it will be good for you to try and take your mind off things in the best way you can.

• I do have some things that I'm going to work hard and focus on this school year, I'm working in Student Government at my College come August so that will be a great place to focus my energies on. Thank you for your kind words, I will just take it a day at a time like you suggested.

• That's good to hear. You just have to immerse yourself in you, your interests, your hobbies and guilty pleasures and just take things slowly, each day that passes is a step forward in the moving on process.

Good luck to you, you'll be alright. :)