Does breaking up really equal "I don't care about you anymore."?

My fiance dumped me a couple of months ago. He said it was because we'd be living in different places, but honestly we both know it wasn't that. He didn't want to keep our relationship going regardless of where we were going to be leaving. We met over coffee a week ago and talked things out a bit, but of course we didn't end up back together. He said he still cared about me and was glad I was doing better.

I am adopted, and yesterday I met my biological mother for the first time. The entire affair was somewhat traumatizing, and in an emotional state this morning I texted him after no contact and told him I had met her. His reply was "Good for you." I was a bit hurt, because he knew how much that had meant to me and we were together for over a year. I didn't expect much in the way of emotional support, but I thought that came across as a bit cold for someone that said they still cared about me, and we used to have quite a deep bod. So what do you think, do breakups equal complete loss of empathy towards an ex-lover?
Updates:
The last time we had talked he gave me four lasting hugs, all of which he initiated, so that's part of why the behaviour confuses me.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• well he literally could've meant it in a good way, its hard to convey tone in a text:P I say that to people and the ones who know me well know im saying it in good manner, other people actually take it offensively, but whatever. its probably his method to help him move on. im glad you finally met your mother:)

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 4

• he said he did still care about you. I think the problem, as often is the problem, is reading tone and emotion through text messages.

it's hard if not impossible to convey emotion in texting and all to easy to read into a text message.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not always really, there are some people who can still be mutual friends or even close friends after a breakup. But it really depends on how they broke up sometimes.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not necessarily.

But in this case, I'd say he emotionally detached a while ago, probably well before ending things. and that was months ago.

0|0
    0|0
    • Honestly I could see that... He always hated showing emotion or talking about feelings.

• Yup. You are nothing more than a stranger now.

0|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• Sometimes it does, but that's not always the case. I think it eventually fades. My ex and I kept in touch after I broke up with him, but not so much anymore.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes