Does breaking up really equal "I don't care about you anymore."?

My fiance dumped me a couple of months ago. He said it was because we'd be living in different places, but honestly we both know it wasn't that. He didn't want to keep our relationship going regardless of where we were going to be leaving. We met over coffee a week ago and talked things out a bit, but of course we didn't end up back together. He said he still cared about me and was glad I was doing better.

I am adopted, and yesterday I met my biological mother for the first time. The entire affair was somewhat traumatizing, and in an emotional state this morning I texted him after no contact and told him I had met her. His reply was "Good for you." I was a bit hurt, because he knew how much that had meant to me and we were together for over a year. I didn't expect much in the way of emotional support, but I thought that came across as a bit cold for someone that said they still cared about me, and we used to have quite a deep bod. So what do you think, do breakups equal complete loss of empathy towards an ex-lover?
The last time we had talked he gave me four lasting hugs, all of which he initiated, so that's part of why the behaviour confuses me.

15

Most Helpful Guy

• well he literally could've meant it in a good way, its hard to convey tone in a text:P I say that to people and the ones who know me well know im saying it in good manner, other people actually take it offensively, but whatever. its probably his method to help him move on. im glad you finally met your mother:)