Started getting to know someone new. So how to breaking up with girlfriend of almost three years with hurting her too badly?

Yeah I already know this won't be easy. So I've been seeing this girt who has a class with me. And when I say seeing I don't mean dating, I just mean we've been talking and hang around for quite a bit now. We've found we have a lot in common and I really enjoy being around her, sadly more than my current girlfriend. I only started talking to her because I needed someone to talk with because my current relationship isn't so good now. To be honest my current relationship has been going downhill a lot as of lately. We fight constantly and I know it's going to end sooner or later. I want to break up my current girlfriend without hurting her to badly and try to see if this new girl and I can make something work. Any advice?

63

Most Helpful Girl

• This happened with my bf and I. he was talking to another girl. Calling her asking her how her day was a few times a week. He met her at the park and they kissed after he said he couldn't talk to her anymore. He just needed someone to talk to and said they were just friends. They didn't touch or anything, but he did lean in for a kiss when they were leaving the park. It really hurt me but he told me about her because he realized he wanted to work out our problems. so if you are interested in someone else and not wanting to work on your relationship you need to let your current gf go. I wouldn't really tell her there is someone else because then she is going to think you have been cheating on her no matter how much you deny it. She might over analyze everything and feel completely betrayed. If you just let her know things aren't working out. You really don't see the relationship going anywhere and you want to move on and you want to just be friends. It may be easier on her but if you tell her there is someone else she might feel like she isn't good enough and this girl is better than her, become crazy jealous because you were taking to her while you were in a relationship, it will hurt her self esteem. I say just end things and move on, but don't lie if she asks you if there is someone else just don't tell her you guys have been hanging out and talking.

What Girls Said 5

• I can't say much about how to execute the actual break up lines; only you can do that. But I can say when you say why you are breaking up do not go into detail about why and do not start evaluating every facet of the relationship. Do not insult her or her behavior, and do not act like it's her fault. I heard of a guy giving his ex-girlfriend a tub of Ben & Jerry's ice cream and a subscription to netflix; so maybe you can do something like that to soften the blow. Also do not rush into anything right away if you do not want to hurt her.

• Honestly, that scares me.
    That my boyfriend could leave me for another just because we've been having fights instead of talking it out with me. Pretty hurtful.

• Shit. It happens...

• Yeah I agree now.

• Cool story bro! :)

• Just tell her the truth. And then, try being alone for some time. Going from one relationship to another without a pause is always a bad idea.

• It's up to her how she handles her pain, not you. So you break up with her and be happy with someone else, just make sure the same doesn't occur with this other girl.

• "Never leave the one you love for the one you like because the one you like will end up leaving you for the one they love"

• The thing is I just can't say I still Love my current girlfriend.

What Guys Said 3

• My advice is to make sure that you aren't dumping your current girlfriend for a new girlfriend. Make sure you are ending things with her because they aren't working out, then give yourself time before you start actually seeing this other girl. Otherwise, it'll be REALLY messy. My advice is to just tell her that things aren't working out. If they really aren't working out then it will be pretty evident for both of you. Mention that you're fighting too much. Say that the relationship isn't making you happy anymore. Just give her the truth, but don't make it harsh.

• No matter how you inform your girlfriend you're going to hurt her, but you know what? That's honestly not your problem. Be honest, be open, leave her, get with this other girl and be happy.

She'll get over it and she'll move on and she'll hopefully find someone too.

• Such heart breaken scene...