Should I divorce my husband after 8 months of marriage?

We're high school sweethearts and my parents shelled out $120k for the wedding. I know it'll break my mom and dad's heart if we break up

but i don't love him. at the same time, i don't hate him either. on my part, some of my reasons for not being satisfied are quite shallow, such as i'm not physically as attracted to him anymore (he gained weight, and he's balding). i could overlook his appearance if i loved him, but i don't. he doens't put in time and effort into our relationship.. his career and friends are more important to him. we don't have any kids yet.

I'm 23, he's 24

510

Most Helpful Guy

• You could never maintain the same level of physical attraction that you had when you met. It's inevitable for all relationships. Eventually, you wouldn't find him physically attractive, either sooner or later. That being said, I don't knock physical attraction. It's big. There's nothing you could do about the balding part, but could you encourage him to lose weight?

Divorce is a serious matter and it's not to be entered into lightly. After eight months of a marriage, I'd tend to think the decision might be premature. Did you love him when you said "I do?"

To all those on GAG who might be reading this, this question is exhibit A about the pitfalls of marrying too soon in one's life.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'll never tell anyone to break up with or divorce someone, because relationships take hard
    work. So, I advise you to think long and hard about this. Because, you're about break a poor
    guys heart, over something as trival as him gaining weight and balding. Being as that you've
    known him since high school, chances are these things (especially the balding) aren't something
    that just popped up after the wedding. Again, being as that you've known him since high school
    I imagine that him investing time in his career, isn't a big shocker either. Unless you two spent you're
    entire high school relationship, after high school relationship and engagement, not knowing
    anything about each other. Chances are non of this is stuff that magically just popped up, people
    don't change THAT fast in a marriage, certain not after 8 months.

Also, being as that you've only been married 8 months. Were you attracted to him, when you married
    him? Did you love him, when you married? If you were and you did, then chances are that didn't magically just disappear in such a short amount of time. Being married is a scarey thing and maybe
    you had a different image of what marriage would be like. But, it's not living up to that image in your head. So, you're now thinking "what did I do?". It's a fairly new marriage and fear comes with the territory. If it is fear, then you need to figure out what your a afraid of and talk it out with your husband.

Now, if you weren't attracted to or love him, before you got married. Why did you marry him?
    Seems kinda mean to marry someone you know loves you, but you don't love back. So, why'd you do it?

Before you make any choices you can't take back, really think about why your doing this. Because, once you say "I want a divorce" you can't take that sentence back. So, think about it before you do
    something you may regret. Good luck.