How do you let someone down easy?

I've been dating someone for about a year and I'm going to be moving soon. She wants to come with me and at first I was okay with it, but now, I'm not so sure. She's really needy and a bit of a control freak. Also, she beats assurance out of me and makes me feel guilty about what I need. What would be the best way to break this off without feeling like the asshole of the universe?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Whatever you do, explain to hear the honest truth that you do not want her in your life moving forward. I think if you say the truth it will be better in the long term. It may hurt her at the time but she'll be able to move on. Do not let her hanging or hoping that you'll be back or that you want her to wait for you.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 3

• i think you should tell her exactly how you feels she will understand you know what they say honety is the best choice

0|1
    0|0
  • Be honest, and remember you are leaving so you aren't gonna have to see this control freak Ever again.

0|0
    0|0
    • I told her that I wanted some space and radio silence while I'm on the road to my new location. I received 14 messages on my first day out! I was considering doing this by text. I know it's a dick move, but I won't be able to cope with her blowing up, yelling and pleading. I do care for her a lot, but she smothers the hell out of me. This is not cool.

• Just say to her-
    Well, I dont wanna live a lie
    Too many sleepless nights
    Not mentioning the fights
    im sorry to say lady

im walking away
    From the troubles in my life
    Im walking away
    Oh, to find a better day

Im walking away
    From the troubles in my life
    I'm walking away
    Oh, to find a better day
    Im walking away

Well Im so tired, baby
    Of things you say, you're driving me away
    Whispers in the powder room, baby
    Dont listen to the games they play

Girl, I thought you'd realized
    Im not like them other guys
    'Cause I saw them with my own eyes
    You should've been more wise, babe

And then walk away in the rain

0|0
    0|0
    • It sounds like a Leonard Cohen poem.

• It's a Craig David song

What Guys Said 2

• There probably isn't a good way to do so apart from trying to be respectful and non-judgmental. Anyone who is attached will feel hurt regardless of how you break it up.
    Maybe explain that you appreciate her sticking around with you, but she deserves to find someone much better. I suggest 'never' putting the blame on her. Always blame yourself.

0|0
    0|0
    • Interesting. Well that might be a much better way to do it.

• Tell them you're not ready for a relationship, you can't trust yourself to be attached to anyone at the moment. It's not her, it's "you."

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes