How do you carefully break up with someone you think might be a little cuckoo?

How do you go about breaking up with someone if you think they might be a bit psycho and may end up stalking or harassing you? How do I let them down in a way that won't completely destroy their ego and protect myself as well? I thought about telling him I have mental problems and my therapist advised me not to date right now - lol

13

Most Helpful Guy

• First off it is good you recognize that these people are not normal and easy to handle. If you think he is psycho and fear for your safety or sanity I would say that being distant and in fact just disappearing completely is what you might want to do. Regardless of how you end it, these types will harass you because they like to control everything.

I don't think playing games with this type of guy will work so there is no reason to get him all pissed off even more. Best to tell him straight up either that you are a lesbian (and this isn't going to work lol) or say flat out that it is over and tell him to never contact you again. Change your phone number, do not return any messages or calls from him, move to a new place if you must, tell all your friends not to give him any info on you. He will try to charm them into giving up details but warn them first that he will try this type of thing.

I always suggest reading "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin DeBecker to understand how these people think and how to avoid them. Might be worth your time to read it before dumping him. Good luck :)