How do you carefully break up with someone you think might be a little cuckoo?

How do you go about breaking up with someone if you think they might be a bit psycho and may end up stalking or harassing you? How do I let them down in a way that won't completely destroy their ego and protect myself as well? I thought about telling him I have mental problems and my therapist advised me not to date right now - lol

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• First off it is good you recognize that these people are not normal and easy to handle. If you think he is psycho and fear for your safety or sanity I would say that being distant and in fact just disappearing completely is what you might want to do. Regardless of how you end it, these types will harass you because they like to control everything.

I don't think playing games with this type of guy will work so there is no reason to get him all pissed off even more. Best to tell him straight up either that you are a lesbian (and this isn't going to work lol) or say flat out that it is over and tell him to never contact you again. Change your phone number, do not return any messages or calls from him, move to a new place if you must, tell all your friends not to give him any info on you. He will try to charm them into giving up details but warn them first that he will try this type of thing.

I always suggest reading "The Gift of Fear" by Gavin DeBecker to understand how these people think and how to avoid them. Might be worth your time to read it before dumping him. Good luck :)

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 2

• To make him feel like he didn't lose you. That he didn't want to be with you anymore. a lot of effort just to do that, but a couple ideas. Bore him to death. Subtle IMO. Or bring down the hammer up to you. Nag him. Pester him. Rollercoaster him. "Hey lets hang out... No nvm... hey lets hang out... no nvm". If he hates you he won't stalk you. Bu

1|0
    0|0
  • I'd make up something. Tell them you need to atke care of your sick mother and won't be available for a few months, something like that. n Make sure it's something they can't catch you on!

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• Speaking as a slightly crazy ex myself, I would just go about it normally. Usually I stalk my ex's on Facebook and keep trying to get back together with them and stuff, but then eventually stop (usually a month or so after the break up).
    If you are afraid they will hurt you though, file a restraining order. Also your plan about the therapist is a good one if you are afraid of them because it will lessen the blow.

2|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes