Is running away acceptable as an Adult?

Before you finish reading this go read my other posts. I've gone through a lot over the last few years with my ex. Added to that I lost my job and have financial worries. I currently am working, but for a very low rate that truly can't sustain myself nor my child. If not for my father, I'd be up a creek without a paddle. This past weekend my ex and I got into a heated argument and I did something stupid... posting to FB in angry and pain. I didn't divulge any secrets or details but said plenty. We talked later in the evening and she admitted her wrong doing and apologize for the immense pain she's put me through. She said I had every right to be hurt and mad, but that I shouldn't have posted on FB and I agreed. I apologized for that. I cried the entire conversation due to her solidifying what I already knew, that she wasn't coming back. Sunday comes and I get a message that she was in the hospital. She attempted suicide via pills but didn't succeed thankfully. I feel responsible. She's been admitted for observation and evaluation until Friday. She's called me several times since to talk to me and tell me it's my fault. She's always had a depression problem and I've always tried to help her. She added me to the list of authorized people to get information over the phone and said I could visit during the limited hour. I tired yesterday but received a very foul look from her mother so I left before visitation. My ex called last night and I told her why I didn't visit and she said she didn't tell her parents it was ok for me to visit, but that they think she needed space from me. She continues to say she will be down as long as I'm upset ans sad about us. I can't help but be sad, that's unfair. I'm considering moving to another state to start over and leave her alone as much as I can, though we have a child. Is it ok for me to in a sense run away? I'd still see ans get my daughter during agreed upon scheduling.

22

Most Helpful Girl

• My husband's first marriage ended extremely badly. I am not sure of the details since I was not around when it happened. What I can tell you is that the relationship dynamic was bad enough between him and his ex that he did not want his child to be subjected to that kind of hatred between parents. He made the choice to not have contact with his ex. When we married I tried to call her a couple of times so that we could have his daughter for visitation and she would refuse. So over the years he kept paying his child support with the hope that one day will she will want to know us on her own.

Now this is extreme in my opinion. However reading what you just posted, I would say it is perfectly normal for you to want to do these things. I would even encourage to follow through with it. Her depression is not your fault, her trying to kill herself is not your fault, she has no right to use emotional blackmail on you to make you feel guilty about issues she needs to deal with. Depression is serious and she needs a therapist maybe medication but ultimately she needs to work on this and get better you cannot make her do that.

Moving to a new state may offer you the ability to find a better paying job. There is no reason why you could not still exercise your visitation rights, although I would look into how much it would cost to modify your visitation to help match the geographical locations. Depending on how far you live seeing your child every other weekend may not be reasonable.

In order to raise you child you need to be healthy mentally as well. This relationship seems toxic. Ask yourself would you want your child in a relationship like this? If they were what advice would you give them? Make your choices on what is best for your child and what will make you a better parent to help raise that child. Good Luck these situations are never easy