My ex was arrested for domestic violence, took months to finally hear from him after I tried to move on with someone else. he told me I messed up?

My ex boyfriend was arrested on April 27 for domestic violence. he choked me, hit me, and pulled my hair while I was driving my car. there were people around who saw it and called the cops. we were not allowed to speak until June 13, which is when I dropped the charges. I waited a few weeks then contacted him because I felt we needed to have a conversation. we were together for 3 years he was my best friend and I felt he owed me an apology, a thank you, and some sort of closure. I tried contacting him a few times and never heard from him. I was hearing from people that he did not want to talk to me so I figured ill never hear from him again I should move on. towards the beginning of July I hooked up with this guy. he's been a friend of mine for years and means nothing to me romantically but we were both drunk and it happened. it was that one time and I was so ashamed of myself afterwards because I was still in love with my boyfriend. that's not like me, im not that type of girl. I've beat myself up over it ever since because I truly love my ex. so finally 2 weeks ago I heard from him. he texted me saying "ive thought about things and I think its a good idea we talk". so we met up the next day, talked for 2 hours and decided to give this another try but we had to take time to think about everything. then I heard from him again a week ago and he asked to meet again. he said he wanted to be with me and I agreed. I truly love him regardless of what he did that day in my car. I had to be honest with him though, because he asked if I had been with anyone else sexually.. and I couldn't lie to him. I told him the truth. he cried and cried and said he could never be with me again, not even in 5 years, 10 years, or if I bought him a house or a car. he blocked my number and all social media accounts and said he has to forget me and move on. he said I was tainted but that I was his best friend and he wanted to marry me one day. did I really so something horrible?
he said he'd never be able to forgive or forget what I did because "I was his best friend and he thought he was going to marry me". he blocked my number and all my social media accounts. did I really do something wrong? I was in a dark lonely place.
i truly thought i was never going to hear from him again since i had tried contacting him and it took months to finally hear from him. do you think he'll ever be able to forgive me? if i can forgive him, he should forgive me. it meant nothing to me

24

Most Helpful Guy

• First off, I understand you love him, but after what happened, it's probably best to move on. And truly you haven't heard from him or spoke in months, you were single. Having sex whilst you are single shouldn't matter and you shouldn't feel guilty about it. I do understand his upset feelings, b/c he sees you in a light that was meant for him. Being intimate with someone else shows him you didn't value him in the same light he did you. Not fair, but it's true. But in truth, I think it's in both of your interest that you move on. It will take time to move on, but it's best.

• i truly love him and i know i hurt him because he said he could never look at me as being "his" again since i "opened my leg for someone else". do you think he could ever forgive me? do you think maybe he's just being irrational right now and needs some time to heal and think? i have no way of contacting him since he has blocked me on every form of communication possible.

• im very sorry to hear that :( sounds like you really do love this girl regardless of what she did

• I do. But sometimes you have to let things go in order to heal. I am happy with her, but with her no longer here, I have to find that happiness within myself and someone else now. It'll happen for me and it will for you too.

Most Helpful Girl

• You did nothing wrong. You played the part of the faithful girlfriend, you waited for him. He fucked up by not coming to you.

• i tried explaining all this to him but he still said he couldn't even look at me and that i was tainted. i know he really loved me and said i was his best friend and i betrayed and hurt him, i get that. but i just feel awful for what i did. i do think his reaction was immature because i had tried to contact him with no luck so i felt really lonely, sad, confused, lost... i didn't know what else to do other than to try and move on. since then he has blocked my number and every form of social media. he said he wants nothing to do with me ever again. he's very upset. but he also said it will take him months to move on and forget about me but that he's gonna try to do that. he's blocked all my friends too. do you think maybe over time he will calm down and realize the big picture and want to contact me again?

• he thought we were going to get married, he couldn't ever picture himself with anyone but me (that's what he said)... so the fact that i had sex with someone else is tearing him up inside because he thought it would just be me and him for the rest of our lives. he told his parents he was going to marry me. so the fact that i could be intimate with another is crushing him. and i feel terrible about it.

• You have nothing to feel terrible about. Do not let what he is feeling dominate you. It's his fault that he went to prison. He brought this upon himself. I have no sympathy for a man who abuses a woman and then finds out that she slept with somebody else. It's his fault, and he needs to accept it.

Live your life. You deserve to be treated well and you deserve happiness.