My boyfriend keeps on leaving me then coming back. Why?

I have an amazing boyfriend who treats me very well. He shows me a lot of respect, and has always been there for me. I love him very much. I know he loves me too. However, he has a habit of breaking up with me out of nowhere. We'll be so happy for a long time and never fight, and then we'll have one argument and immediately he will associate our disagreement with my "lack of experience" (I am younger than him) because I should understand the way he sees it because he is older. (He's 10 years older than me)

We've talked about it before when this has happened, and he admitted he gets really insecure, but that I helped him with that. It hurts him when we have problems because he finally found somebody he really cares about. He also admitted he knows he has high expectations, expecting things like never having any problems, etc. He has come back to me a few times this has happened, usually a week or so later, saying he's sorry and that he's an idiot when it comes to relationships. This time, he said he needed space and to be alone after our one disagreement, but then he completely broke up with me and made me get my things from his place.

Basically I don't know anymore. I love him with all of my heart, and he makes me incredibly happy. I want him to be happy too. But whenever this happens, I get so confused. We've been especially good lately, and just went on a roadtrip together and have been incredibly close. Then out of no where this happens. I try to be the best girlfriend I can be, but he seems to get upset whenever one little thing goes wrong. So I try to talk about it, but he gets stubborn and ends it. He seems to do this I've noticed when I disappoint him somehow and feels I'm not being aware, and then thinks I am too young. I try to be open-minded and understand his perspective, but I get so tried of always being the one to apologize. I just want a normal relationship, I want this pattern to stop. Any advice from you guys would be awesome, thank you.

Thank you everyone so much for the advice, it was hard to pick only one "Most Helpful." I think I'm going to do my best to see if we can deal with what's bothering him and work through it, but if this happens again I'm going to have to move on sadly.

36

Most Helpful Guy

• sounds like my relationship, I'm tempted to just end it from time to time, but never done it yet.

I would say he has some serious doubts about the future of the relationship either from something about you (age, maturity, job prospects, etc.) or how he feels with you and the breaking up after a fight is his convenient way of getting out.

Until you know and deal with those issues plaguing him, you'll continue to have to deal with this type of stuff. good luck to you!