Is it ever okay to break up over text?

I've only been seeing this guy a month or so, we've been on a few dates, made out a couple times but we haven't committed or anything. Buut the thing is I'm getting tired of it all. I like him but not enough to give up being single and what's the point of dating someone if you don't want it to lead anywhere? I really want it to end on good terms though because we have mutual friends and his Mum is my boss. Not to mention I really do like the guy. I just don't know how to do it, normally I would think a nice straight forward 'thanks but I don't want a relationship' text would suffice but I don't know if it would be suitable in this situation. Are texts ever really suitable ways to break things off with a person?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• No, but since your not "official" there is nothing to really break up. Just say you enjoyed hanging out with him, but aren't at the point in your life where you want a committed relationship, and would like to stay friends. Do it in person though, don't be a jerk and send him a text, cowards way out.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• No, it's tacky and cowardly. Breaking up over a text is very tactless. It makes you look bad like you are really inconsiderate and so self-absorbed that you couldn't apply some decency in this situation.

Just tell him to his face "Look, this isn't going to work out because of ______"

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 4

• I'm Going To Give You My Unlicensed Professional Opinion, If Your More Comfortable Doing It Over Text Then Go Ahead, You Guys Are Friends So iDont See Why You Couldn't Just Do It In Person...

0|0
    0|0
  • To me over a text is ridiculous and really disrespectful. It was once someone she/he liked... Should have some decency to at least do it over a call minimum...

0|0
    0|0
  • I think a phone call is, at the very least, the right thing to do here. I would at least extend that courtesy.

0|0
    0|0
  • Seeing as nothing was ever made official, then you aren't really breaking up with him.
    I think I text will be ok in this situation!

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 3

• its very disrespectful and kinda cowardly. but what can you do, people will do it anyway.

0|1
    0|0
  • No, you need to do it in person

0|1
    0|0
  • I was dumped via text.
    It feels awful... being dumped is hard enough, why make it worse by making them feel they aren't worth more than a text?
    At the very least, call - even then, I'd say it's crap.
    Best to do it in person, it's simply respectful.
    Texting is such a shitty approach. and very cowardly.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes