Do ex-girlfriends really want to be friends?

When a girl breaks up with you and says "I hope we can still be friends." Is that just something she says or does she really still want to be friends?

Because a girl dumped me recently because we "weren't communicating enough," and said that, but when we ran into each other at a party, she did almost everything to avoid me (we share the same friends) and she thinks up weird excuses to not hang out and she'll only text me when she needs a ride somewhere.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Usually when I say "I hope we can be friends" it means don't be an asshole about the breakup and I hope we are on good terms. Like I hope you don't talk badly about me and spread rumors and remain acting CIVIL towards me. And it usually means I plan to do the same for you. If I thought the relationship ended badly or I really hated the person or our relationship, I wouldn't say "I hope we can be friends." I'd say "You're a piece of shit and I never wanna speak again". She probably wants to stay civil.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm Going To Give You My Unlicensed Professional Opinion, She Just Doesn't Want You Upset With Her, If She Is Ignoring You Then Why Do You Answer Her When She Wants A Ride. iSuggest Cutting All Contact & Moving On, You Dont Need Her As A Friend & You Also Dont Need To Be Waiting Around For Her. Stay Strong & Stay Positive...

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 5

• Something that I've learned recently is that sometimes girls say this when they really just want to skip all the rumors and revenge that follow a relationship.

This is not the ONLY possible reason though. Sometimes girls just like stringing guys along even though the relationship has ended.

I have yet to see a couple go from relationship to actual, legitimate friends though. Once something is there, it tends to stay there, or at least a little part of it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Ignore her. You shouldn't be giving her rides if you guys are no longer friends. She shouldn't be using you or taking advantage of you like that. Next time she asks you for a ride tell her you only do that for friends and then block her.

0|0
    0|0
  • Stay friends! She probably only avoided you because she still has feelings for you. Does that mean in a couple of weeks she won't want to hang out with you and all of your friends? No! It just takes time every once in a while. I said the same thing to my ex but it took us like 3 month before it wasn't awkward anymore. Unless you don't want to be friends with her, don't worry about it!

0|0
    0|0
    • But she's the one who dumped me, so I don't understand why she'd be awkward about it

• When I broke up with my bf, I hadn't done it because I didn't like him anymore; I did it because I had a lot of other things going on at the time (my mom was sick and my dad was about to quit his job). Now her reasoning might not be the same as mine was, but you can't just decide one day to stop having feelings for someone. It takes A LOT of time

• Thanks

• tbh it depends on the girl, if you were close friends before going out and things dont work out she might want to go back to being close friends, other girls just say it to be friendly and to not seem like a bitch also to give you hope for another relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well I don't know bout most girls but the guys i dated, they're actually my bestfriends right now and we dont think anything bad of the past :)

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 1

• my ex does. So, fuck, maybe?

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes