5 years are gone. All her family with it, what now?

I met her 7 years ago when I was in highschool. Just friends, I got incredibly close with her parents and siblings though because we were in a pretty tight social circle with my whole family. After about two years I started talking to her a lot. Like everyday. Texting, calling, we ended up working together. It went on for about 4 years. I've been calling her mother "mom" for years now, her sisters are my own, her grandparents love me like a grandson. I fell hard for this girl, I wasn't even attracted to her at first, my real love came first and I found myself day dreaming. She was the same, her mom was worried she wasn't going to want to go to college or anything because she thought we were just going to run away and get married. After 4 years of being in love I asked her out. We dated for a year, an amazing year. Everything was great. No signs of problems. Her mom came to me on a Sunday afternoon and asked when I was buying her the ring. I told her not yet because of some school stuff, I didn't want to pressure her. But I was going to buy her a promise ring for her birthday. I had it all planned, promise ring, bruno mars tickets, dinner for two. I really just wanted her to know I'll always love her like I have for 5 years. She didn't talk to me one day, about 4 weeks before her birthday. I think something bad happened, something had to be wrong. I try to help but she ignores me. Three days later I can't stand it anymore, I go to her house and confront her. She breaks up with me, no real reasons except generic stuff... "its me not you." and stuff like that. It's been three months, bruno mars has past, I sold the tickets. Her mom talks to me still, last time we talked she cried a lot. I still hurt like it's fresh, I really thought she was the one.

I'm not an angry person. I love her and want her to be happy even if that means not being with me. But what about me? I can't forget about her. I need help. I'm getting depressed to a point that scares me.
And I'm having good spouts and bad spouts each day... but I think there's a real depression. I'm a diabetic and I can tell something is wrong just by how my body chemistry has changed. I feel like I'm losing my mind.

41

Most Helpful Girl

• Do something for you. Do not answer her calls, texts, emails or whatever. Here's the deal. You devoted yourself to this girl, and she smacked you across the face and didn't even give you the respect you deserved while doing it. DO NOT GO BACK TO THIS GIRL. She doesn't give a shit about you. Years of loyalty, kindness, compassion, devotion tossed aside like it was just a piece of trash. Get busy. In your spare time, get out, be active hang with the bros. Get some video games. Stay away from tv and the radio and any music love related. Surround yourself with friends, don't communicate with her family. It might seem harsh but to get better you need to cut all ties, including those ties. Get yourself something new and shiny. Make some small personal goals. Give yourself 10 minutes a day to feel bad and be upset, but only 10. Prove to yourself that you're the real deal, and you can get past this.

• I like your enthusiasm! Luckily since the afternoon she broke up with me we really haven't communicated at all. I texted a few times when I was in shock at first. But after the shock we haven't done any talking. I don't talk with any of them except her mom. And as good as your advice sounds, I can't do that to her mom. I don't see her everyday or anything. Just a couple times a month at most. But she is literally closer than my own family. She is the woman for my emergency contact if I go to the hospital. If I turned my back on her I'd be making a decision worse than my ex's I think.