Will No Contact Work?

Will the No Contact Rule work for getting him back? Me and the absolute love of my life have been dating for 2 years, and he recently just ended things between us because we "fought too much". Which is a load of horse ****, really. I think he ended it because he's overwhelmed with his job and the stress of a baby on the way (I'm almost 8 months pregnant). He started sleeping for 15 hours a day and never making time for me, so I would beg him to wake up and come see me, and he just... Ended it after I was upset for the last time. Broke my heart. For the first week, I begged relentlessly. Which now I understand was a terrible move. I then just... Quit. He began ignoring me. I left the door open for him, telling him that I still loved him and cared for him, and that I wouldn't bother him again unless it was concerning the baby. He never replied to that, and now it's been 5 days of no contact. We had an amazing relationship, before all this pressure got to him. Do you think he'll wake up (literally) and realize his mistakes? Has anyone had a similar experience? I really miss him, and want to spend the rest of my life with him. Also, he told me that he still loves me. More horse ****. I really, really love this guy, and it's killing me to not be able to talk to him.

25

Most Helpful Guy

• Speculating her somewhat but some thoughts. You guys are going to be inextricably wound together for a long time because you have a child together... it's not like a normal relationship where you "get to" break it off and never be involved with the person again - having a baby makes you permanently involved with someone and so it can be really difficult if you aren't getting along, like feeling trapped. It sounds to me like he's running away from fatherhood, or perhaps it is the combination of the idea of facing fatherhood with a woman for which he sees the relationship has deteriorated. I wouldn't say 'no contact' because you have a child together so you're both going to need to be mature and think about what is best for the baby etc. at all times (e. g. he would surely still like to be there when it's born, and you WILL need help, and a baby benefits from more involved parents than fewer providing they aren't fighting). In any case, the real question is if you want him around long-term as the major partner or if you want to find a new 'father' or just try stay single for a while. My suggestion is don't break contact but don't push the issue either - he needs some distance to think about things and take it slowly/easily so he's not overwhelmed - let him know he can be as involved (or not) as he wants to be and that if he wants he can be there when she's born etc., or something like that. If the pressure of the responsibility is off and he sees these special moments the idea may grow on him. That is assuming you love him.

• "Speculating her" *here

• He definitely had feelings for me, 2 months ago. This pregnancy just.. changed him. I really hope this space is helping him sort things out. I know he won't do couples therapy because he's very hard-headed. I wish he would just go to therapy.. if not for him, then for me. It just doesn't make sense. He used to tell me everything. Then he just pulled away. I feel really hopeless, because I don't think he'll change on his own. And nothing I've said has worked so far. Maybe after the birth of his child he'll start looking up again

• It's most likely depression, caused by the uncertainties of being a father, and how he'll handle it, since his father was a dirtbag. This really started like 2 months ago. I began to notice he lost interest in sexual activity, but I just figured it was because I was starting to get a baby bump, and that freaked him out.