6yr relationship ended, leaving me with our three year old son and now he wants nothing to do with us?

Me and my sons father were together for six years. In the beginning of our relationship he cheated on me and got the girl pregnant, I forgave him and have been with him ever since. We have a three year old together who he has seen everyday of his life. He recently got in trouble with the law and ever since we have been arguing. A week ago he got drunk and cheated on me with the same girl from the beginning. He left me and my son and told me he doesn't want anything to do with me. He hasn't seen my son since nor has he called to ask about him. I am heartbroken and just don't understand how someone could do this after six years. I cry everyday and I have became depressed and have anxiety. Any suggestions on how to get through this and keep my son from being hurt? Thanks
I am in the process of getting full custody and when I said I don't understand how he could do this because I thought he changed and I have done so much for him since being with him for him just to abandon us.

37

Most Helpful Guy

• Im not sure you can really get your son through this with out being hurt. You might be able to mitigate the damage, but in the end your son is going to want closure of his own. Other than telling him his dad left, went away, or died you son is going to want to know why his dad left him. he will also possibly blame himself for it. That he is the reason your ex left.
    Honestly I have to think that this is going to be a situation where no matter how you handle it there is going to be issues. Your ex wants nothing to do with being a father to his son, which means your ex is not man enough to take responsibility for his own kids. Also he got in trouble with the law? do you really want that kind of example for your child to begin with?
    Honestly you are just going to have to talk to your son and make sure he understands that his dad isn't coming back. If you are smart you will file so that you have sole custody of the child, and that his father has no visitation, or limited visitation and get child support to make sure that your child is taken care of. Other wise all you are doing is creating a recipe for disaster.

Most Helpful Girl

• Sweetie, I am so sorry for your sorrow, but it's Best to Know Now----This slime ball will Never change. He's a zebra whose stripes will always stay the same shape and color, and you and your precious One are Far better Off without him.
    He's a cheat, a drunk, the lowest form of man who is Neither a soul mate Nor a Father to your son, and even after After everything he has done to You, you Enabled him to come back, where he had this problem child pattern of doing it to You again.
    Go be with some family members to help you go through with this. You need someone to help you right now.
    As much as you're heartbroken and can't understand how he could just 'Abandon us,' it was never in the cards for him to stay and be this family man or even a father figure. He's immature, Not ready for Commitment, and you are better off Alone than with him, if you know what I mean.
    Someday when your son is older, you can explain to him that daddy has problems, and couldn't stick around.
    Good luck, God bless. xx