There is some therapeutic reasons for talking about exes that are good for the person to get off their chest, and sometimes people go on autopilot and don't realize they're doing it.
If you don't see your option in the poll, then please comment! I'm not here to judge why people do or don't talk about their ex, instead I think it's handy for others to know what the reasons could be that they may or may not want to hear.
- I am simply not over my ex, and if I talk about him/her to friends/family/my current partner - I am looking for cues from them to see if I should get back together with them.
- I am pained by the breakup and talking about them to get them out of my system. I am over them, but I need someone to know the pain I just went through so they know how I feel.
- I will occasionally talk about them only if the person or subject of exes is brought up, I will talk, and keep it short. Otherwise it's not my favourite topic.
- I talk about my ex, but don't even know I'm doing it until it's pointed out to me. I really don't know why they're on my mind other than they were a big part of my life for a while so I must be bringing them up out of habit.
- I won't talk about my ex at all. It's not that good or bad is to be said, it's the past and I do not need my current partner or friends/family to hear about it.
Most Helpful Guy
In my experience, it's all the above. Not being over someone, trying to work through lingering emotions, attempting to explain why particular activities or events have had such a negative impact, attempting to cause hurt, or just a bad case of foot-in-mouth syndrome. Mentioning an ex, the wrong, can & often does cause repercussions. The trick is to remember that, regardless of what's said, you're better then their last. And if they're not over the ex, simply sending them packing & go find someone better.3