My ex boyfriend agreed to see me after 4 months - does it mean anything?

My ex and I broke up 8 months ago. We almost got back together a month after that. Long story short, I broke his heart and he really loved me which virtually destroyed him. Since March/April, he's been in a new relationship.

I asked him this weekend if he would be open to talking to me as I wanted to clear the air and finally tell him the truth about the way I feel. I still love him, but accept that he's in a new relationship. He agreed, in fact he was keener than I thought he would ever be. We met today (at his insistence) and it went amazingly well - so much so, that had the meeting been about reconciling, I would have felt positive in it all working out.

So my question is - he told me he was in a relationship, but he kept asking me that in "ideal world" would I want us to reconcile - I eventually said yes & that I would've hoped we could have worked things out. He asked if I regretted breaking up with him & I said yes. I also said there were many times I wanted us to reconcile but I was too afraid to approach him. He kept asking why did I wait so long to approach him. We had a great time - joking & laughing like we did when we were together. I admitted to him that I would always care about him & love him. He was shocked. He later said that I had been on his mind a lot at the start of his relationship. He said that his new gf was a nice girl & he like her a lot. She also knew he was meeting with me.

He always said he loved me more than anyone in his life & that he wanted to marry me so the fact he moved so fast hurts & confuses me. He did ask me if I thought he moved on too fast which I agreed he had. I am confused by our meeting. I acted very philosophical about everything to disguise my hurt. We wished each other well & left. I am heart broken. I love him very much. Does the fact that our meeting went so well mean anything? Or should I give up all hope?

11