Is it possible to befriend an ex?

I broke up with my ex in a mutual-break-up about a week ago. I'm still sad about it, but what I miss the most is the feeling of losing a friend. We had a pretty solid friendship holding the relationship together, and I know he has told me lots of secrets he hasn't told anyone and vice versa. There are things I feel like I can tell him but I can't tell anyone else.
I realize that I may feel like this because I miss him, but I am forced to see him every day because of school and we have mutual friends, and I know it makes things difficult by treating him as an ex or a stranger for everyone around.

Perhaps I feel like I haven't gotten closure, or really any type of communication about reasons why it didn't work out. We both weren't really on the same page as to why we wanted to split during the time we were leading up to it. I plan on asking him about it when the hurt and wounds are gone in about a few weeks or so, but still. Have you been friends with your exes, and how did it work out?

43

Most Helpful Guy

• It won't work and will hurt you later. Feelings are not switch on/off button so it won't stop. Imgaine he start date another woman you will feel horrible. Stay away no contact at all if you guys realize you can't live without each other then maybe you both will make it work again if not then NC is the best solution.

What Guys Said 2

• Frankly, its impossible to be 'just friends' with an ex, unless your feelings for him weren't too strong when your were in a relationship.

• It is possible to be friends at some point but that takes some time. You can't go from together directly to friends, if that's your question. Someone will just get hurt. I'm sorry, this situation is an awful place to be in.

What Girls Said 4

• SAME situation. I am. But it's awkward. It's not the same when we use to talk. I'm thinking that over time it'll get better

• Yeah time makes everything better!! Just having to wait is what blows the most.

• Ughh hell yea it does. Apart of you wants to be with him. The something tells you it's a good thing. That you guys are apart. But let me warn you if both of you guys are on the same page of strictly for a friendship it's not going to work

• The same thing happened to me and we are really good friends now.

• My ex broke up with me and we became best friends
    better friends than we were before
    We just didn't want it to be awkward so we carried on as if we hadn't gone out and turns out we were besties

• NEVER EVER stay friends with someone you used to get freaky with