How to break it to him?

I've been with a guy for the past 5 months, and he adores me. The thing is though, that recently I have realised he isn't the guy for me. He drinks excessively, he takes hard drugs socially, and he is incredibly aggressive.
I am planning to move a fair distance away, he assumes I am going to be staying in the area close to him. I know this is a deal breaker for him, and I don't really care.
I just don't know how to tell him! Partly I am scared of his reaction, and partly I hate upsetting/hurting people.
He is currently working away, but I don't know if telling him over the phone is right, especially if he is working.
How do I do it? HELP!

25

Most Helpful Guy

• If u are afraid he will hurt you. Have someone there (in another room may work). Just someone who can dial 911 in case needed. If not consider having a ck in time. Hey Susie I'm breaking it off with Johnny. If u don't hear from me in 30 minutes call he police.

Be quick, clean, polite. Don't get ugly even if he baits you. Just stick to we are heading in opposite directions. We had some great times but we can't make this work on our current paths. I have a job. I have to move. This is best for both of us. Try to sidestep inflammatory issues of alcohol and drugs. You're not his mommy. He should know better. If he asks be honest. But be careful. Stand your ground. Cut him quick, clean, with dignity and respect. If for no one else other than you so you can know you left with your head held high.

Most Helpful Girl

• Set up an Up close and Personal meeting of the minds with him, sweetie. It's Better for you in finding the kindest words to-------Let him down as easy as you can.
    Tell him you are moving and you think it best for him while you are gone, to Focus on himself with his 'Own problems,' and that you would like to remain----Just friends.
    Yes, he will be heartbroken, yes, he will feel sad, maybe shed a few tears, but take his hand and tell him you have been doing some serious soul searching, and you feel this is what would be Best----For everyone.
    Being with someone who has a bad habit, a serious problem is not the easiest thing in the world to deal with. And I also feel that someone like yourself can't Continue to be an Enabler for him, and if he really cared enough about you, he wouldn't caused this---Deal breaker himself.
    I also believe that if you had real feelings for him, this LDR would not have been so much the problem, but with his Problem child problems they were more than you would ever had wanted to endure. You are doing the right thing.
    Good luck, God bless. xx