How do you get used to being single?

I was with my ex for 7 years 😳 we started dating at 16 so I'm not really sure how this works. I definitely don't want a relationship for a while, but I really miss the components of it. How do I get used to the loneliness? I have been keeping active and staying busy, but still feel the longing. 😖

16

Most Helpful Guy

• The single life isn't that bad! When I broke up with my ex a while back I felt the same way, lonely, depressed, regret. The best thing to do is find something to occupy your time, something you enjoy doing, for me it was video games.

Happiness is indeed a choice, as cheesy as it sounds and while being in a good relationship is rewarding, being single has it's benefits too, don't have to spend as much money, no commitment, more alone time etc.

Relationships do take effort I guess you could call being single "taking a break".

What Guys Said 5

• You don't really get used to it... It is a painful process. You get used to sharing everything with each other and when that support structure is gone it can feel like someone has kicked your legs from under you. Surround your self with good friends and lean on them for support when you need it, and have fun weeding out all the mr wrongs out there until you find someone you want to get back to that place with. Find what makes you happy and single life can feel liberating!

• Single for 19 years and counting , its almost like being a gymnast.

• Look for the components of single life that are enjoyable.
    Might not seem like much straight away but you got a lot more individual freedoms now and you can make spontaneous decisions that you couldn't do before.

Heck, fall asleep with the tv on
    Arrange the house/your room how you want
    Wear clothes when/how you want
    Eat different foods, when you want, how you want
    Have friends over, call them over now

There's so much you can do, just think of something and make it happen

• I am forced to... being widowed.

• Lower your self esteem. Tell yourself you aren't worth it.
    Worked so far for me!

What Girls Said 1

• It takes time. As you grow into your own, you will realize that you are ok and in fact more than ok. Your confidence grows and you begin to recognize it's nice to have a companion but it is not a need.