Is it good to suppress your feelings? will it eventually resurface?

In my opinion I feel that it's a very negative thing to suppress emotions because it will resurface in a negative way at some stage in one's life.

The reason why I'm asking this, is because of my ex boyfriend who chose to suppress all his feelings for me and for everything that has happened to him knowing that it's a bad thing to do. I blocked him recently due to him being selfish and cold towards everyone (this includes his family and friends). He says that he just wants to be alone.

He also hasn't dealt with his past issues before our relationship and I do not want to see what happens when all of his negativity eventually boils over of his "bottle" of "positivity" that he is so good at putting up.

What are your opinions on suppressing emotions and choosing not to deal with your issues? especially if you're a guy.

04

Most Helpful Guy

• No, you are correct.

Suppressing your emotions never deals with them... They will be festering below the surface.

As for me, I have a lot of issues and hang ups and problems. I try and deal with them, sometimes it gets overwhelming and I just push them aside.

Well, I feel better for a while, but eventually they just come back and slap me in the face, again, and now I have to fight them or overcome them all over again.

• I'm sure you will overcome your problems that you are dealing with :). At least you are able to admit that, my ex just pretends like everything is so perfect in his life, but I know him not dealing with his emotions and suppressing them with prescription drugs etc is going to result in something seriously negative. I just keep him in my prayers. You should pray about your problems too :). Xx

• Very good! You are listening to your gut! It is right... That day will come for him. I truly hope he realizes that he IS weak. It's hard for a man to admit it... It's hard even for me to admit it. No man is an island as they say. I have been through a lot, and overcome a lot, but i depend on God for just about everything. God has had to really smack me down a lot to make me understand just how weak I actually am. There's no shame in it. There's shame in pretending you are strong while you crumble to bits inside. It takes real strength to admit you need help.

Keep it up... Keep listening to that Voice. Keep praying... God will answer you.

• I fully agree with you and I believe in prayer. :) Unfortunately he thinks he is really okay and strong. I honestly can't see him admitting that he needs help or that he is weak. I'm not saying it's impossible but he lives in denial and chooses to do so instead of being honest with himself. I will thank you! :) Xx