Domestic violence! How do you feel about Ray Rice cut, then suspended by NFL for striking his then-fiancée?

Domestic violence! How do you feel about Ray Rice cut, then suspended by NFL for striking his then-fiancée in February?
www.huffingtonpost.com/.../...video_n_5783380.html

718

Most Helpful Girl

• He deserved whatever has come his way. No excuse for putting his hands on her.!

• No excuse at all but at times it can irritating seeing more women either taking them back or still wanting to be even friends with him (example: Rhianna) that once in a while I'm like ''Fine, you want that, stay in that situation''.
      I see more men breaking up for less. For instance, very few would even put up with a jealous gf or one of those spoiled types with a princess attitude. Sometimes, they even break up when they see the relationship is going stale.

I know I might have come a bit harshly but would really wish someone knock some sense into Ray Rice's wife and she divorces him. If I were her, I would be horrified in seeing the video, esp after he drags her like that.

• @greenspice also, she's not his wife. She was his fiance.

• Totally agree @Hannah591
      Noone will every understand if they haven't been there. Therefore should never judge.

What Guys Said 18

• Punishment he got isn't enough. Banned from the NFL for life would be nice for openers. After that I think he should be prosecuted for a felony and then off to prison where other inmates can beat the shit out of him so he knows how it feels to be on the other side. And from there I hope it goes downhill further for him.

As for the NFL, once it was all over the Internet and TV, I assure you Roger Goodell had no choice. He is walking a tightrope now in gusty winds. The NFL has a long list of problems. Bad player behavior on and off the field is one of them. Every other week, there is an OUI, a bar brawl, domestic violence, substance abuse topped by ongoing lawsuits for brain injuries, racism as in the case of Incognito, and in the case of Aaron Hernandez, allegations of murder. There is only so much room for the NFL to tap dance around all of it.

• Rice needs to never play football in the NFL again

Commissioner Roger Goodell needs to be removed as commissioner for trying to sweep this under the rug he and his staff never asked for the video to review it or worse yet they saw the video 4 months ago and chose not to act beyond a stupid 2 game suspension.

The latest Instagram from Rice's now wife where she blames the media for what has happened needs to have someone tell her this issues is "beyond you and your abuser husband"

• This is the pc police e overreacting. He did nothing wrong she rushed him she got dealt with

• Ok but he should have no obligation to do so. They both went full retarded but I feel she was more in the wrong. She started the slaps

• Actually both are in the wrong but whoever clearly doesn't understand his/her strength and overuses it in anger is even more in the wrong. In my case, I would have been way more in the wrong than my sister. Same for what happened there on the video.

Sorry to hear that some of you are into the mentality that a couple slaps that aren't life threatening deserved to be returned with a full knock-out punch. You clearly has anger issues too.

• I think the NFL handled the situation about as poorly as an organization could handle it but I definitely think he should've been suspended. I think it's absurd that they suspended for 2 games initially, then made a policy of 6 games suspension for a first time domestic abuse issue, and a lifetime ban for the 2nd only to suspend him indefinitely about 2 weeks later... I mean what's the logic there

I also think it was entirely disingenuous of the commissioner to try and convince the public that the harsher punishment was because he was so outraged over the video that came out this week when he knew precisely what happened back in February.

I think the handling of the matter was awful and pretty much a disgrace but I do think that Ray Rice deserved punishment (not necessarily what he's gotten)

• I don't know anything about it, not being a follower of American football (Rugby football and Association football are confusing enough!), apart from what people on here have said, and they have said that Rice's fiancee started it physically. Assuming that that is true, I side with Rice. I have no sympathy for anyone who initiates force. I don't care who it is or what the motivation is. If an initiator of force wishes to avoid bad consequences, the solution is... don't initiate force.

• She barely touched him. Even if she did punch him the face hard, he should recognise that he's the strongest one and do the mature thing and not knock her out cold? He knows he's stronger and he knows she's just angry so any decent person would just hold her arms and try to make her calm down. She handled it wrong, he handled it terribly.

• Pause it at 7-8 seconds and you can see he's spitting at her.

• @GreenSpice Well, if that is true, then I side with her.

• I haven't watched the video, But I don't agree with a guy hitting a woman. Unless his life is in danger.

Getting cut. I have no opinion on.

Indefinite suspension is ridiculous. He's not the first to do it. And he will not be the last.

• It took the spread of this video for him to be cut. He was already known to have done the deed. The publicity is what got him cut.

The NFL has no issue keeping players who are proven guilty of heinous crimes.

• My gut is he used to much force.

But did every other guy get 'restraining an angry violent woman' training some day I was home sick? People say 'he could have restrained her'. Are we all supposed to know how to do that?

• Common sense would dictate that it's not brutally knocking someone the fuck out then dragging them out of an elevator nonchalantly.

Then again, she did marry him a month later so maybe common sense just isn't a part of their relationship.

• Guys usually just grabbed my wrists and turned their hip so my kicks/knees were ineffective.

• It seems women are holding men to a higher moral standard and want the law to as well

• How would you expect people to feel? He shouldn't have gotten away with it before the 2nd video surfaced.

• Gotten away with self defense. That's odd

• agree yaddayadda. and the argument that he was simply defending himself is nonsense. you can defend yourself without knocking a person unconscious

• I think it's stupid. They were hitting each other and she lost. She should have not provoked a man of his ability if she didn't want to get hit.

• I seriously laugh ever time I see it.

• He's a grown ass man...
      There's very few reasons a man should ever hit a women. It should only happen if he feels like he or someone else may die if he doesn't.

There's no justifiable reason a 5'9'' 206 lb. NFL Running Back who can squat close to 5 times her body weight should ever even take a swing.

He should have just should've just restrained her.

• Or if she hit him to put her back in her place. I personally think he should have just slapped the shot out of her.

• his ass should be in jail and band from ever playing in the NFL for life and not get in the Hall Of Fame in Canton Ohio

• I think we should refrain from resorting to violence whenever possible.

• NFL:
    Smoking Pot - 1 year suspension
    Beating the shit out of your wife - 3 game suspension

• The way I see this is: Either his fiancée is petrified of him and is covering the domestic violence up OR media is blowing it out of proportion and she is just rectifying the truth.

• He knocked a woman out. the ass deserves more.

• He did nothing wrong

• @dudeman No wonder domestic violence is so prominent in our society. Knocking a person out cold is considered as "nothing wrong". Appalling.

• Lol self defense. They got in a fight and she lost. He did nothing wrong.

• He deserves what he gets...

• I don't care.

• First thing was that she started hitting him. I have zero sympathy for anyone that starts a fight. Second thing, for people that say he should've just restrained her because he's stronger are incredibly ignorant when it comes to how the human body works. It doesn't matter if he was the worlds strongest man in the world. A full-grown woman has enough strength to knock him out with a single punch. Yes, you read that correctly. Any healthy adult can knock any other healthy adult out with one single punch. Regardless of how much stronger the one getting hit is. All that matters is that the punch hits the person in just the right spot. There are four ways to knock someone out with one hit.
    1. Side of the jaw near the back end.
    2. Right under the jaw with an uppercut. If the knuckle hits the sensitive spot that is just underneath the jaw, it will knock the person out.
    3. A punch straight to the temple. Not only could this knock someone out, but it could also kill them.
    4. A kick to the area where the neck and jaw meet.

All it would take would be one single punch from her in the right spot and he would be knocked the fuck out. And if he tries to restrain her, who's to say that she doesn't get that one punch off, and that one punch happens to hit this specific area.

The video doesn't look like he hit her all that hard. He just happened to hit her in that right spot. He could've hit her as hard as he could with a straight jab and she would've left with a broken face, but she wouldn't have been knocked unconscious. It's not about how hard someone hits. It's all about where someone hits. In all honesty, I'd rather be knocked out with one punch than to be conscious after a hard jab to my cheekbone breaking it.

As for the suspension. I have a problem with how it was handled. First they give him a 2 game suspension. He serves this suspension. Then after seeing the video they suspend him indefinitely. The new rule they came out with AFTER his first suspension

• was 6 games for first offense and then suspended indefinitely for a second offense. So, they suspend him 2 games for his first offense. Then after seeing the video (Keeping in mind that he already told them that he hit her, and that what he said goes right along with video evidence) they decide to suspend him again. So, they suspend him twice for the same incident. Secondly, the second time they suspended him they gave him the suspension that matches someone that has committed their second domestic violence offense. This was still his first offense. He's not a repeat offender, yet they suspended him with the duration that is set by their new guidelines that matches someone of a repeat offender and not a first time offender. First time offender, of course as stated, gets 6 games. So, I have a problem with that. Double jeopardy and sentencing him with that of a 2nd time offender even though he has only offended once.

• ... and yet we have guys in ISIS beheading journalists. Which is worse?

What Girls Said 6

• I think he got what he deserved by being released from the Ravens and suspended indefinitely from the NFL.

His actions were definitely not justifiable at all. As I have said in another post about this topic, I'm all for self-defense, but she did nothing to deserve being knocked out cold like that. He could have easily restrained her instead of punching her in the face. She did slap him and that was certainly wrong, but he took it way too far by punching her like that. Of course, I do think she's an idiot for marrying him after this incident and defending him to the media.

• She rushed him. She deserved what she got. U don't rush somebody and not expect retaliation

• @GreenSpice I think he is a bit stupid too for marrying a girl who tries to punch and spit at him, that girls has no respect to her husband

• @Raven neither does he have respect for her obviously nor cares about her health by being nonchalant after knocking her out and dragging her body like it was garbage.

• Here is my thing.

We already knew that his fiance came out of the elevator unconscious.
    We already knew it was a domestic abuse altercation.

Why does seeing this second video change anything?

I mean, what did everyone think happened on that elevator?

• The pc police that's why

• It changes everything because nothing serious was done until WE saw what really happened and everyone was outraged that he was not punished enough.

• I think the main reason I'm so pissed off and think he doesn't deserve to get in trouble is because Michael Vick, a guy that made dogs fight for his and others enjoyment and killed them, barely got any time. He also got his job back but all this guy did was punch a stupid ass girl and he apparently should never ever play again and rot in jail. Like hundreds of dogs lives aren't worth one dumb girl getting knocked out. I hate violence but this is just bullshit.

• I think she deserves it if she still married him after that: for being pain dumb. She now knows what type of husband he is and obviously wants to still be with a short-tempered man, ok then that's her problem.

Needlessly to say, I think a punch is too much for a slap. She didn't hit him like a man nor kick his balls. Plus, it doesn't seem like he was doing it in self-defense but in retaliation. Self-defense is different from retaliating in anger. Straight out cold punching his fiancee shouldn't be used as first resort, but as last if indeed nothing else is working and the guy truly feels his life is threatened, not because he's angry.

• Let me give my own example: My older sister is 5'2 (while I'm 5'9) and obviously I outweight her a lot; plus I used to lift weights. One day we did have an argument and she tried to fight me by slapping me just like his fiancee did. I just pushed her and when that didn't work, I held her against a wall until she calmed down.
      If as a woman, I would never hurt and hit back in anger my own sister since I could have clearly destroyed her easily, I would expect these men to have this common logic.

• Thats exactly what they do to you. Most of the time you dont notice, i didnt, i ended not being myself.

• Hopefully you have dumped him by now. Honestly, a bf directly mistreating me is an easy break up to me. I was much more devastated when my next bf (now ex bf too) cheated on me. This, I didn't see it coming at all and totally caught me off guard. Immediately it's like we're shattered deep in the inside to pieces.

• He deserves it. I think the state should be more proactive in pursuing these charges instead of leaving it up to the victim.

• If he gets charged so should she

• I totally agree with you. It just really irritates me that NOW people mind that he was beating his wife.

• @betwyn totally with you on that.

• he is a pig. it seems way to many guys in NFL beat women and animals. I think they should have a rule in all pro athletics, that you if do something like that then your finished in sports for life.