For men: How long does it take to get over a break up?

Well I'm going through the classic break up withdrawal (it's been almost 3 months). However I'm real disappointed in myself for how sensitive and morose I have been acting. I am a st8 man in my early 30s, I thought I would be tougher than this.

Long story short I dated my ex for a year but in the later months I started losing physical (but not emotional) interest in her. I thought about asking her for break but couldn't bring myself to do it. When I mean break... I mean some time off to straighten out my own life and refresh my feelings towards her. She was by far one of the highest quality girls I've come across in the past few years. I just couldn't bring myself to ask her for break... so I drove her into dumping me.

I was doing fine the first couple weeks after the breakup. I almost felt relieved until my brother made an offhand asshole comment when I told him the news. He said "you know John... you are going to die a miserable, lonely old man...". My bro has always been an asshole so I usually let it roll off my shoulders... but this one hit home... hard. I lost my temper and called him every name in the book. Then two weeks later I discovered I had a HPV infection & an underactive thyroid. That's a separate issue... but it really hurts my confidence when it comes to finding other woman. I did see my ex a few times for business reasons (and I told her about the infection... fortunately she's vaccinated). She was cold as ice, 180 turn around from the warm and caring girl I knew only a few months ago. I also suspect she met a new guy at her work in the last 2 weeks of our relationship. We were having some issues at the end but I think this guy made her decision to dump me much easier for her.

I have been trying to eat healthier, exercising more and doing some social activities. I even hired a counselor to help me get through these problems. I know people react differently to break ups... but seriously when will I stop thinking of her?
1
3