Should I dump him and move on?

I've known my bf since we were kids, but we only began dating 2 years ago after reconnecting on fb. It was perfect b/c we both live in the same major city. Our families still live in the town in which we grew up, around 5 hours away.
We are both 35, and I am ready to move back to our hometown to be closer to family, and because it's more affordable. I don't want to rent anymore. I could afford to buy a small condo here, but I don't think it's a wise investment. I will make good money no matter where I live due to my profession (Nurse practitioner)
Boyfriend is also 35. When I mention moving back to our hometown, he gets weird. He always mentions how he loves his apartment because it's in such trendy area. At 35, who cares about living in a trendy area? If you are only paying rent at 35+, it's a waste of money to live in a "trendy area". His job kinda sucks and if his rent goes up much more, I don't think he will be able to afford living there. At 35, shouldn't he be more focused on career, family, real estate? I find it odd. Also, he has a lot of student loan debt, around 125k. I've asked if this is the reason he doesn't want to buy a house with me in our hometown. I then told him that I will pay the entire mortgage, he will just have his SL and our utilities and groceries. He said no, he likes living in "the coolest neighborhood in the city of chicago."

02