I'm so depressed. How do I get over someone who I never actually dated?

My entire life (I'm actually 17. My wireless mouse fucked up when I was clicking my age) I've had no girls show any interest in me, and frankly, most didn't interest me. Then there was one (the first one, no less) who I actually liked, and liked me back. I asked her out twice but it didn't work out both times. Long story short it's complicated, and she's getting to know this other kid she likes, but she keeps dropping hints that she still likes me. I let her know right off the bat how I felt, and when I asked her she felt, she said she'd prefer not to say. Does this mean she likes me, but doesn't want to make things more complicated? Either way, I want to just get over her, and I want her to get over me. It seems like the situation has been stressing her out lately, and I really don't like being the reason she feels that way. I also have been beyond fucking depressed since it started. I have barely eaten for 3 days. I would rather let her go, and give us both the resolution to a bad situation we need. I want her to be happy, and if that means that she needs to literally forget about me and get with someone else, than so be it. I really, really, REALLY, don't want to, but should I suggest that we don't even acknowledge each other until we get over each other? It will be profusely painful for me, but I feel like it's the best thing for her. How do I suggest it? Do I just tell her she should ignore me no matter what? I'm so depressed and just want her back, but I know that can't happen.

30

Most Helpful Girl

• Hmmm... it sounds like she's either unsure of how she feels -or- she's sort of being a player. Why don't you tell her that you don't like this in-between thing that you two have going on and that it would be best for both of you to make a decision once and for all. Tell her that you want to be with her but that she either needs to be with you or you two have to stop contacting each other so you can move on. <---- so YOU can move on. You're putting this girl's feelings first, and the way you talk about her is really, really sweet... but you seriously need to put your mental health first. Tell her you want to know what she wants to do in like... x days. Choose a specific deadline, do NOT leave it open-ended.

If she chooses you, YAYAYAY! :D
    If she doesn't choose you, well that sucks but you WILL get over her. Trust me, I crushed on the same dude for like 4 years and never thought I'd get over him... Well, I'm over him lol. Took a while, but time really does fix everything.
    If she says "i want to be friends, i don't want to lose you," tell her that's unfortunate but friendship isn't on the table.

Best of luck dude. I hope you feel better soon. I remember you from a while back, you seem like an awesome dude. If I were your age, I'd totally try to date you :p

• I don't want to be that guy. I've always despised the person on T. V. and movies who's all like, "It's either HIM/HER or ME! make your choice!" I've always hated conflict, and I would rather make her and her guy happy, than make myself happy, but sacrifice his (even though I kind of despise him) and her happiness. Even if she chose me, she seems to like him a good amount, so she would feel the same way she feels now, but instead of me being ignored it'd be her guy. Than I'd feel guilty for making her feel that way, so in reality, it'd make all three of us unhappy. It's a lose-lose-lose. It seems like the best course of action is to cut it off. I suppose it's better to sacrifice my happiness in exchange for securing the happiness of two others. I remember you as well, and thank you.

• It isn't creating conflict... you'll be simplifying the situation for everyone involved. One person is going to end up sad, but that is completely temporarily... 2 people being happy outweighs 3 people being miserable and confused right? I really think you should make her decide. If you step away now, then you're removing her ability to choose... It's better to allow her to decide for herself, that way you won't have any doubts about how she feels from this point on.

So there's another girl? Or is the same girl a JW?

• Okay, okay, yeah. I see your point. The girl I'm talking about is a different one.