Can you be friends with an ex boyfriend/girlfriend if the breakup wasn't mutual? (explain)?

I know some manage to with time apart and effort but I'm curious to see as other people can handle breakups if they weren't mutual. Please explain why you can or can't!!

• Yes
  • No

24

Most Helpful Guy

• Unless it is a one-night-stand, a brief hookup, or "oops, drank too much" there can be a deep emotional investment. After all, we fall in love, want to fall in love, feel connected and cared for. It can be emotionally risky to take the plunge into a relationship. But when one partner wants to break it off and "just be friends" there is a great emotional disconnect. (Lest I sound too preachy) if you were having sex it is often harder to let go. Sex strengthens the emotional bond. So if the other person is deeply invested in a relationship, it can be impossible for him/her to see the relationship in any other context. If she/he is really into his partner, one can't just turn that off.

Most Helpful Girl

• i would say no. Because one of you didn't want to break up and may still have feelings.
    And if one of you were to not be over the other.. it will hurt. extremely. because.. you will talk and hang out.. it will be harder to move on because it was not mutual... to move on properly.. you need to be apart from the one you broke up with.. untill you are finally, and definitely over each other.

But then again , if you broke up because it was such an awful argument and mean things were said and you were both hurting one another.. why would you want to be friends with the jerk/bitch that hurt you?