Can you be friends with an ex boyfriend/girlfriend if the breakup wasn't mutual? (explain)?

I know some manage to with time apart and effort but I'm curious to see as other people can handle breakups if they weren't mutual. Please explain why you can or can't!!

• Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Unless it is a one-night-stand, a brief hookup, or "oops, drank too much" there can be a deep emotional investment. After all, we fall in love, want to fall in love, feel connected and cared for. It can be emotionally risky to take the plunge into a relationship. But when one partner wants to break it off and "just be friends" there is a great emotional disconnect. (Lest I sound too preachy) if you were having sex it is often harder to let go. Sex strengthens the emotional bond. So if the other person is deeply invested in a relationship, it can be impossible for him/her to see the relationship in any other context. If she/he is really into his partner, one can't just turn that off.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• i would say no. Because one of you didn't want to break up and may still have feelings.
    And if one of you were to not be over the other.. it will hurt. extremely. because.. you will talk and hang out.. it will be harder to move on because it was not mutual... to move on properly.. you need to be apart from the one you broke up with.. untill you are finally, and definitely over each other.

But then again , if you broke up because it was such an awful argument and mean things were said and you were both hurting one another.. why would you want to be friends with the jerk/bitch that hurt you?

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 3

• yes u can but both sides MUST be down to earth people that are very respectful and able to return to being friends after boning the person and learning so much about them... most people can't do it and to try when u can't is more painful than the actual breakup

i have nothing to do with my 2 relationships because i recognize it just isn't ment to be... it hurts to much remembering what we had and thinking of what it could have been ya know... and awkward

0|0
    0|0
  • No, specially if they are not mutual meaning one of the two gets screwed up. Hasn't worked for me at least.

0|0
    0|0
  • I say no because there will usually be sexual tension after also if one of you so happens to get in a relationship off the cuff said persons significant other might think he/she is cheating because its an x that he/she still talks to and will put a damper on the relationship and it usually comes with drama

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• In my opinion no you normally can't. There's usually too many hard feelings there and you broke up for a reason right? I am civil and for the most part friendly with my ex husband but that's because we have kids so we have to converse almost everyday. Am I his friend though? No i am not

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes