Is it bad to end a relationship because the age gap is too much?

I'm 24 and my girlfriend is 19. She likes the age difference but I feel like I'm dating a child. She was so happy to see me today but I'm thinking about dumping her because the 5 year age gap is just too much for me. Is this a bad reason to dump a girl? Will she take it well?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• No! Bleep dude! Dnt leave her because of that! Unless she's mistreating you, dont ever break up because of that!!! She's happy with you? How dare you leave her like that! I would love to date a guy six years older than me. Dont lose that!

0|1
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • You make a good point..

• thank you for the MHO! love your girl, don't leave her for that reason. Look at her smile and happiness and treasure that when she gives it to you. Not a lot of people have what you have and throwing it away like that because of age is unreasonable. I would totally date a guy up to nine years older than me, so five is nothing. Best of luck and I wish you much happiness!

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 9

• No, it's actually responsible of you to do so if you feel like you're in two different places in life. The fact that you say if makes you feel like you're dating a child shows that she probably isn't very mature.

0|2
    0|0
    • One problem: I tried talking to her about it, we ended up having sex. TMI sorry lol.

• Show All
    • That last comment kind of made you sound like a 19 year old I think you two may be well suited.

• Yeah, I think we are now. I am just learning to go with the flow.

• It's frowned upon in my book to dump a girl for that reason. Then again, I can see if from both sides: You may want to go out somewhere that's 21 + -- she couldn't go; you could go with friends. Then there's the part where it's just a number. She's legal and considered an adult -- young, yes. Still an adult.

Make a Pros and Cons list... if the Pros about her outweigh the Cons of that gap, that'll give you your answer.

1|0
    0|0
  • To dump her completely because of age is stupid. But to dump her because of a lack of connection, cultural similarities, sexual maturity, and emotional maturity is fine. Many things that can come with age gaps

0|0
    0|0
  • its realistic. maybe tell her to wait until the age gap isn't so wierd. for example 25 30... i understand its a problem. if you dont reallly feel it anymore its time to end it...

0|1
    0|0
  • hahaha my bf is twenty one years older and we're both happy happy happy. five years is nothing Hon.

1|1
    1|0
  • Does she act like a child?

1|0
    0|0
    • No. She's actually very mature for her age.

• Then how is it like dating a child?
      Most 19 year olds girls are more adult-ish than guys in their early 20s tbh

• Yeah, i'm gonna stay with her.

• I don't feel like age is the biggest factor in your differences. It sounds like a personality issue. I know that people say that age is just a number, and I agree when you are both mature adults. However, from 19 to 24 I was a completely different person, and even 24 to 28. You shouldn't feel bad that age is one of your differences; I think it may just be the most obvious. Don't waste some of your best years being tied down to a doomed relationship.

0|0
    0|0
    • She is so happy. I don't want to hurt her.

• You'll hurt her more by making her think that things are ok. You're not happy and because of this, you're lying to her. She's completely oblivious.

• Is this about the age gap, which is just a number, or the difference in mentalities? You say you feel like you're dating a child, but in what way?

0|1
    0|0
    • She's 19. I feel like she's just out of high school and I'm a junior in college.

• I'm 25 my boyfriend is just 22 so why would I dumb him for 3 years of different -_- why did you first start dating her? didn't you know her age in the first place? or are you a playboy just trying to find a reason to jump to new girl -_-

0|0
    0|0
    • I'm not that type of guy.

• Show All
    • Everytime I see her, I get happy. I'm gonna make it work.

• Good boy :3

What Guys Said 6

• I'd say you don't know when you're on a good thing.
    When you get a little older, you'll probably wish she was 10 years younger than you.
    At your age, I don't think 19 is too young.

0|1
    1|0
  • If you end the relationship solely because of the age number than yeah that wouldn't be so good. However, if you think she is acting too much like a child for you that you and her just don't have that really good connection, then no it is not bad to end the relationship.

0|0
    0|0
  • 5 years isn't that much. if you stay together long enough then it won't be so hard cause she'll be 22 and you'll be 27.

0|1
    0|0
  • I guess that's up to you - if you really feel like that's a problem, if there is a mental difference etc. then I think it's a good reason. You're not supposed to feel like you're babysitting someone. However I don't see why the difference measured in numbers should be a problem.

0|0
    0|0
  • If this is the only reason why, then yeah, I'd say it is. Maybe you should figure out why you're uncomfortable with it and try to see if you can get past that feeling instead of doing something rash like dumping her. At the very least you should have a talk to her about it.

0|0
    0|0
  • if you are worried so much about age gap, you should have avoided it from the start smh

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes