Why does my ex boyfriend want to see me and my dog so bad? We only broke up a month and half ago?

We been together foe 5 years. We broke up a month and half ago. He really misses me and my dog but yet he has a girlfriend which I find weird, because I would think he would rather spend time with her then to be around me or even think about me in that matter. He says maybe in the future we'll date when he heads back to the island. But then he switches his mind that he just wants to be friends. I'm so confused. What are your thoughts on this?

02