I wasn't "exciting" enough?

Well my ex and I dated about 4 months. we kind of grew apart and agreed it "wouldn't work out"

however, I still have deep feelings for him. I contacted him and asked him just straight up what happened to make him get distant, and he told me that he wanted more excitement in a relationship.
im confused because I thought he was really happy until the last month when he started getting distant (around when school started and he seemed troubled all the time)

I want him back because I feel as if it was a mistake, but how can I go about attracting him again? he acts rather friendly and approachable, but I don't know how to go about it. how can I be more exciting? not just for him, but to show him what he's been missing and perhaps just get a little personality makeover. i feel like the breakup was at a bad time and more of a resultant of stress and troubles that we were both going through separately.

01