I regret the break-up. Is that normal?

I just broke up with my bf of 7 years. I have been frustrated for a long time, we lived in a LDR and two months ago we finally lived together, but things went even more down from there. He was bossing me around and gave me no support although I was in a very stressful situation.
Now I got offered an appartment and I took it. It felt like a "sign", that I had to move on.
The last days have been hell. He is trying to convince me that I am making a mistake since we both still have feelings for each other, and that the situation might have changed now (since my stress is over).
I am devastated and feel guilty, but everyone tells me its the right thing to do. I am crying and wish I could turn it back, but I am also afraid that things won't change between us.
I just need some advise of people who have been through a break-up. Is it normal to feel regret?

33

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes. You've spent 7 years with him, of course that is normal to feel like that. It's really hard to move away, it's really hard to wake up every day and realize he's not there anymore. But regretting is a part of moving on. Once you made the decision, you need to hang on it, even if you're hurt and desperate. You can never turn back to a memory, and in the second you decided you're not working anymore, he became one.
    When you're down and feel like taking it all back, think about the times when he hurt you and remember why you'd left him in the first place.
    Be strong, girl!!

• Thank you for your explicit and nice answer! You are right, I haven't seen him an few days and it already feels better. At first I felt I overreacted, but then I remembered why I did it and it gets better by the hour :-)

• I'm very glad :) Be strong and let him disappear from your mind :)