Why do people act overly happy when they get out of a relationship? Is it usually a ploy?

I noticed that about both men and woman. The get spunky, do something different with their hair, get a tattoo, go back to college, exc... Is it real or is it a coping mechanism?

62

Most Helpful Girl

• It happened to me. It wasn't a break up but me and my crush drifted apart after a fight. Then I just acted like I was the happiest girl on the planet. Putting on statuses, pictures and all. It was just to hide the fact that I needed him really bad. I was hurt. I was crying. But I pretended to be okay. I just didn't want him to think that I was desperate to become friends with him again.

What Girls Said 5

• There are different phases of a breakup. First, they feel sad and lonely, then they do some weird stuff (like changing hair, etc.), then they move on.
    All depends on circumstances and the reason of breakup as well.

• It gets pretty ugly before it ends in most cases. Even if you still love the person, the relief from fighting or the awful feeling that you know it's going wrong can feel tremendous.

• I just went out of a 3 year relationship, and I literally changed (360 degrees). I expected myself to cry or at least get upset that I broke up, however, I was actually relieved. My boyfriend was possessive and I sacrificed so many friendships + sacrificed so many things in order not to hurt his ego. I was basically serving him all he wanted, including extra attention, on a golden platter. He always took advantage of that, knowing that I'm a person who is "too nice". And, I actually believed that I was deeply in love with him... But, it was the contrary. I, basically, was not the type of person I tried to be. And it took that break up, for me to realise how free and independent I love to be. I don't regret it happened, but I feel MUCH better off without him. It's like I'm getting back to my actual life.

• Maybe they're just happy to be rid of an awful relationship.

• They don't want their ex to know they are hurting

What Guys Said 2

• Compensating for the loss, unless it was truly a horrible relationship because then the joy is real. They have their freedom and happiness back, from being smothered. Rarely is that actually the case in long term relationships tho

• I've never seen this. Everyone I know who has gotten out of a relationship takes it harsh, and just gets really sad.

• I've seen it a lot and I just don't get it.