Anyone ever had luck staying friends with an ex?

About 3 months ago I got out of a long term relationship. Long story, but I basically lost physical interest in my ex although I was emotionally very in love with her. It was a very sad, painful situation because she was very special to me. However I can understand that she deserves a man who gives her the physical attention she deserves.

Anyway I want nothing more than just to talk to her again. That's all I really want. Wonder if this is possible or is the best thing just an ultimate adios. The thing is this girl really understood me better than anybody I've ever met in my life. That's why I'm having such a hard time letting go.

I'm doing the no contact rule right now (5 weeks to go). Hoping to reach out to her after its over with.
Haven't talked my ex in about 9 months now. Part of me is wondering how she is doing. Thinking about reaching out to her.

31

Most Helpful Girl

• My hubby and I were together 5 years when we split. We did the no contact rule, like you're doing, for about 6 weeks. Then, one day, he called and said he wanted to be friends. I thought it was the normal "let's be friends" crap that every breakup has. But, he was serious. We called or texted just about every day. We just talked about stuff like work, our other mutual friends, sports, etc. This went on for like 6 months and we eventually got back together. I think what helped us remain best friends is the fact that we were best friends during our relationship. It sounds like that's what you had going on with your ex. So, yeah, you can be best friends. Just ease into it. Good luck.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • We were together fora year. Since the break up she has not initiated any contact with me... but she responds curtly when I reach out to her.

Most Helpful Guy

• If you mean "bad" luck then yes.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I've already had plenty of bad luck since we split.

• It'll change man, don't despair.