If you TRULY loved or liked someone do you ever forget them even if you eventually move on? Does your mind wander to them at all?

Is there ever a moment of brief sadness or even butterflies if you run into them years or months later?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• You never, ever forget someone you truly love.

Notice my tense is current. They will always be in your heart, and you will always love them.

3|0
    1|0
    • I agree! I love that your answer is current, that says a lot.

• I really love this answer too. Does this mean that even years and years after you could still hold onto the love you had/have for someone that's no longer in your life?

• Yes, absolutely. The person you truly love owns a part of your heart. If you are with someone else, whom you love, then you must release the other person in order to give the love to your new mate, or your heart will never be fully theirs, which is not fair to them.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 3

• Nope you'll alway remember them even thought you may not think of them currently. Like I remember my ex gfs and I don't think about em. Some things might make me remember and think about them though.

1|0
    0|0
    • When you think of them does it make you smile or shudder?

• Depends on who it was that Im thinking of.

• I wouldn't say that there's moment of sadness but more of a nostalgic feeling, thoughts of the things we went through, the sex, and the tender moments that I usually cherish the most. I'd never go back to those exgfs, becuase even with all the good times, there's a reason why they became my exes. Every now and then there will be small reminders that make me think of them but nothing to get my self lost in thoughts over. I usually write them out in poems and that usually helps me get the pondering thoughts out and then after that I never look back it's always forward I am moving.

1|0
    0|0
    • Girls love that - to know they aren't easily forgotten. Thanks for your answer!

• @Asker - Most my breakups were me moving outta city/state/country, and so no I think easily forgetting might be like a slap to the face IMHO that we were 2 people in a time and place that shared something special and then to say NAH forgotten them already is to me disrespectful and whatever the opposite word for humble is... Tell you the truth it's those cherished moments that I could fully tell someone in great detail and length as to what we were doing, talking about, the look on faces, what they wore. It brings lost warm feeling to what's left of my heart.

• Heck no. Not me. There's a girl I haven't seen in twelve and a half years I've never forgotten that will always be important to me. And another gal not quite three months ago that will be as well. I don't forget people I love or care about. These are two such people. That's just me.

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 7

• I don't forget about the people I've been involved with just like I don't forget old friends, previous bosses, former colleages, BUT I don't feel anything about them after our time is well over.

It's like.. "oh.. right, John... yeah I dated him for a year or so... I don't know where's he's right now. Hope all is well, but I really don't care about that dude".

1|0
    0|0
    • Even the ones you truly loved or cared about? Thanks for your answer!

• Well, I've always "truly" cared about the people I've been with, which haven't been many. And while I loved them, I have also had a reason not to be with them anymore. In the end they have built their lives according to what they thought was best as have I.

When I've heard that "john" hasn't forgotten about me and that he still asks about me or that hearing about my new boyfriend makes him upset... it actually makes me wanna shake my head and roll my eyes. I don't want to be "loved" forever, I can only hope they learned about life during the time they shared with me, but after that, please let me go.

• I wish I could be more like that! lol

• The person I love the most is no longer in my life but I do believe that we will always have a deep love for one another. I know that I will... I really hope that he will as well.

1|0
    0|0
    • and I think I will continue to feel sadness anytime I think about him, no matter how much time goes by. I really really loved him like no other and I will spend my whole life wishing that it worked out :(

• You sound like me... :(
      It seems to be hardest on the ones who love with their whole hearts... almost a negative and positive all at once.

• it really hurts a lot. It feels amazing when you're able to put your entire heart into something but the pain when it doesn't work out is almost unbearable for a long long time

• I'll always have feelings above normal acquaintance because I've been intimate with them and shared some of my life, however, I don't still love them. They've helped make me who I am today and I accept that they are part of my life, but I don't have any romantic feelings toward most of them... just the one, but we went through something quite dramatic and personal and we never broke up properly it just had to end, so that's a slightly different story as I still have a great feeling of affection for him.

1|0
    0|0
    • Do you ever dream about him out of the blue even when you are 100% over him and then feelings come rushing back... or is it just me? lol

• well it's now been ten years since we split, so no, I don't dream or think about him now at all, but when I see him (which is very occasionally) it's obvious we're both still very close.

• Nope my first love I will never forget and I still love him even if I moved on :)

1|0
    0|0
  • well I'm a little confused by myself in this department.

get this. iv had 2 bfs. i won't forget them, yet if i run into them, i dont feel those butterflies or the love i used to feel, because i have moved on.

but... i have 2 guy best friends [whom i have no deep feelings for] and our friendship has been dwindling. when i run into either of them, this wave of nostalgia just washes over me and i can never forget what we used to have.

so yeah idk, with regards to my relationships, i think my mind wanders to my joy, but then that's just put to a stop when i remember why exactly it no longer exists.

1|0
    0|0
  • No, you never forget. I particularly don't get butterflies as I have moved on, but when a certain person crosses my mind it's just that, a passing reminiscing moment, nothing more. I don't feel any sadness or anything of that sort.. cause it's been too long.. I think it depends on how long its been and if you have managed to move on or not, to determine the type of feeling that would evoke in you. For example, first few weeks/months/ even years, could be a sense of loss and sadness, melancholic feeling? and as time passes those feelings fade, yet you still remember them from time to time.. and when you finally move on, you feel absolutely nothing, just the memory stays of course.. unless you don't manage to move on, then maybe some feelings might linger, but that didn't happen to me at all.

1|0
    0|0
  • You don't forget people you love, or loved, past tense. I mean, most people will remember their 4th grade teacher, so of course you'l remember someone you had feelings for.

Personally I have gotten over someone for the most part, but if someone says his name it's like an alarm goes off inside my head and I get butterflies, or if I think I have seen him (and it turns out to be someone else.)

Haven't talked to him in several months and I know that if I happened to see him my heart would spazz out but I don't want to be with him anymore.

1|0
    0|0
    • Thanks for the answer! Do you have any insight to why your 'heart would spazz' if you happened to see him? Does that mean you still had feelings or just that you remembered what you once felt?

• Show All
    • Haha or it could be that this one time in history your heart is smarter than your head... wouldn't it be easier if that were true? lol

• oh yes it would be much simpler.

Recommended myTakes