Why did my ex say these things with regards to being friends?

My ex-boyfriend and I broke up roughly 2 months ago. We go to the same school, see each other very often, and for this reason I recently asked him how he feels about being friends; I was very chill about it and let him know that I'm not pushing him in any direction or expecting any specific answers, I just want to know how he feels so I don't assume anything. When we just broke up, he stressed how much he wanted friendship. However, in the two months since that happened, he's sent very confused and mixed messages about it. When I flat out asked him the full extent of his feelings regarding friendship, he told me that he's just going with the flow and hasn't decided whether or not he does or doesn't want to be friends. He then said that he "doesnt want to cause problems" and that it's "weird" being friends. He gave me a nonchalant "sure" when I asked about talking once in a while. In the past, he's said he has an interest in speaking to me about things we have in common... but now that's shifted to a nonconvincing "sure" and the idea that talking too much would cause problems. He's more or less moved on by now and i'm certain he does not have feelings for me (he hinted that he doesnt), so i'm just wondering why he feels like this is so problematic/weird/no longer of interest to him? He's changed his opinion so many times that it's hard for me to keep up... he went from wanting friendship, to not being sure, to telling me that we can talk about things we have in common, to now saying it'd be weird.

30

Most Helpful Girl

• Why would you want to be friends with your ex, even my ex and I go to the same high school and we don't say a word to each other. I don't talk to him whatsoever, I was gonna try to be friends with him but I decided to just leave him in the past. I look at being friends with an ex as a waste of time, my ex actually broke up with me but no I'm not going to chase him around the school. If he has to make up his mind weather to be friends with you are not then just let it be and leave him alone and move on with your life. My ex isn't really ready for a relationship whatsoever he doesn't know what he wants and I can understand that. But if I were you I wouldn't give him anytime to try to figure out if he wants to be friends with you or not just let him be.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE