How can I be friends with my ex, it's really awkward?

Okay, so here's the deal. My Ex and I broke a little bit less than a year ago. He broke up with me, with only 3 days of school left, so we couldn't talk much. In the Summer he asked me if I hated him and I said no and that was literally 1 out of 2 of the conversations we had during the summer. I recently changed my classes and i have History with him, we never talk but every now and then we stare at each other for a half a second and then quickly look away and pretend like nothing ever happened. I really want to be friends with him because he's a really good guy. People are often trying to embarrass us in class by yelling things out such as "So when are you two getting back together" and stuff like that. Please help, and no I do not have the guts to go up to him and ask him "What went wrong with our relationship?" or "Can we be friends", or other awkward convo starters He broke his phone so he can't text...

13

Most Helpful Girl

• Its not really a good idea to be friends with an ex, just because those feelings are gone doesn't mean they can't come back. You could find yourself getting attached to him again if you try being friends with him. I was going to try that with my ex when he broke up with me but I decided to just let it be. There's no point in being friends with an ex, it doesn't exactly solve anything. Okay so you two are friends now, so what? Move on with your life, all he is going to do is string you along you could end up getting hurt. If it didn't work out as a relationship then it probably won't work out as a friendship. My ex and I don't say a word to each other whatsoever. Distance yourself away from him if you need to that's what I do with my ex. He is your ex for a reason move on with your life. Don't stay stuck in a place where you don't belong. Its better not to be friends with an ex. Move on with your life, talk to other people socialize with other people and just be yourself. Let him be, don't chase him if he wants to be friends with you he will come to you, don't make yourself look devastated. Do you, be you... You don't need him in your life.. put him in the back of your head way back there and just focus on yourself and your studies and socializing with other people. My ex and I are strangers and we haven't talked in 7 months ever since he broke up with me, sad but trust but I am no one's therapist. I moved on with my life, started getting out of the house and socializing with other people. Sure he and I make awkward eye contact every once in a while but that doesn't mean I'm going to make a stupid mistake of chasing him and asking him to take me back. Move on.

What Guys Said 3

• it is always better to not get along with people you couldn't work out or with whom you weren't happy.. things might turn to be the same as before in some cases.. and moreover i think it is always better to move on in such cases.. the more you see him, the more you'll think about him and will not be able to move on in life.. stay away and live life in your own way.. that's the only solution i think..

• "I really want to be friends with him because he's a really good guy."

Lies!

He's your ex for a reason. Move on and save yourself the future anguish.

• If you're too shy to talk about things, hand him a card with a message.
    "I still like you, but I wonder what went wrong".
    Leave it to him, after that.

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!