Is it worth trying to get him back? Or would I be asking to get my heart broken again?

Alright so I could use some insight on my situation, to see if this is hopeless and stupid or if I have a chance. So he broke up with me like almost 4 months ago, we've had different and odd encounters since then and I'm still having the hardest time getting over him.
I saw him just the other day but our last real conversation was about 2 months ago. He kept saying that as much as he wants me to be the one, be his girlfriend again, be the girl he ended up with, we're just in two different places in life right now. Physically, yes, we were in a long distance relationship for the last few months but mainly in life. He didn't elaborate on it, maybe I should've asked him to but from what I know he says this because I'm still in school, and he's not, he has a real job (he's a teacher) with a house now and wants those next steps in life to start happening.
When we broke up I didn't know what I wanted when I was done with school, which is now only in a couple of months (December). This was like almost 4 months ago though but now I know what I want and where I want to be. I don't want to go off and mess around skiing for a few years (which is what I used to think I'd do after college), I want him, and a life with him, I want all those things he wanted this summer and now that I'm graduating we actually have the chance to be in the same town having that. 3 months ago he said we couldn't be together because we were in different places and wanted different things, that was true, but now, I want all of those things he wants. He doesn't know this though. So do I try this? Do I try and tell him those things with the hope and the chance he'd want to be in a relationship again? Is it worth it? Or am I going to get heat broken again? Any insight would be so appreciated! I know what I want but im kinda lost right now.

11