My ex just got a gf but he keeps messaging me. Why?

I was with my ex for a year. It was a long distance relationship (me: Los Angeles & him: Ontario, Canada)
We've known each other for two years,
To be honest we got along great but of course the distance was what made us break up. Anyways he keeps messaging me & we still talk & Skype. He says he misses having me in his life & he still wants to come visit me in Cali. I went on his Facebook profile today & says he's in a relationship since August 27th. We've been Skyping & talking around this time. So why is he telling me this when he has a gf. i didn't even know he had one. So I'm mad & confused, also I don't want to start problems with his new gf.
Also I was the one who broke up with him.
I'm 23 & he is 21

12

Most Helpful Guy

• Either he is trying to use his new girlfriend to make you want him more, or he is trying to use you to make his current girlfriend want him more. Either way, this sounds like the work of a manipulative schemer to the likes of me. >=(

• It's so weird. I would never thought of him this way. She's also younger than him. She's 18, I'm 23 & he's 21

• Thats not a bad option. My only concern is that deciding you're done talking to him without telling him you're going to stop responding to his messages may be hurtful to him, especially if he doesn't know why (assuming he still like you, which seems quite possible right now).

• So the next time he messages me. I'll just say "I'm happy for him, I wish him the best." But that I want to keep my distance. Because I don't want to cause problems? Should I say I'll still be around if he ever needs to talk about his problems or should I just leave it at no contact?