What does his text mean?

My three year boyfriend, now ex, and I broke up about five days ago. He said he didn't want to be in a serious relationship anymore; that he'd been feeling this way for two months now. He said the reason he didn't mention it to me was because he wanted to avoid me being hurt, as well as losing me. He said he wanted me to still be in his life because he feels that as long as we stay in contact to him, I'm always going to be "his girl" Of course I said I wasn't going to do that. I made it clear that if he were done we would no longer speak. I even asked him if he was sure he was willing to lose me and he said that's what he's trying to avoid... The day after not talking he sent me a texts saying he doesn't want to live life without me and he wasn't sure if he could do this (my response will be in the "Update" lol). Today he sent me a message randomly because I didn't respond to him after his last text. It read "I had a dream about you last night, just checking up on you" I didn't respond. I don't know what he wants. I'm 100% sure he no longer wants to be with me, but why does he still text me? I'm extremely heartbroken and his texts only confuse me and get my hopes up :/ what do they mean?
+1 y
My response to his first text was "No. You don't get to do that. You don't get to regret your decision. You don't get to text me when you have no one else to talk to. We are not friends. YOU chose to leave. You chose to let me go.
+1 y
cont: "You chose to lose me. You chose to walk away because things weren't ideal. You didn't want to try harder. You just left. So don't hit me up saying you can't do it. Don't mess w/ my feelings bc ur unsure of your own. Its not fair to me.
What does his text mean?
5
1