How do you forget somebody who gave you so much to remember? What I'm really trying to ask is how to get over a guy you honestly loved?

All i can think about is the way his lips felt on mine and the beautiful colors of his eyes and the way he use to hold me. I tell everybody im over him, but i miss him so much and dont think ill ever get over him.

48

Most Helpful Guy

• Time and new experiences.

To be honest, you will never fully forget them. There will always be a little spark there if you feel that way. But its intensity will fade, and new experiences can help put it in perspective.

The biggest problem is that a lot of people actively hold on to these feelings, hoping that 'one day' they will get the person back. That is basically just picking at a scab over and over. It never lets it heal. It never lets it fade. It keeps the person in the front of their mind, and keeps the memories fresh. It makes it impossible to move on. And it then gets worse over time, because you tend to start forgetting about the negatives, about the fights, about the incompatibility issues, and just focus on the positives, on the things you miss. This puts the memory on a pedestal and starts interfering with the ability to make deep connections with new partners. They are being compared to an impossible ideal, their 'behind the scenes footage' is being compared to someone's 'highlight reel'. And they can't live up to that. So the relationship falters and just seems to add more fuel to the 'oh, it would never have failed if they were like Past Lover!'

You have to be willing to let it go. You have to be willing to move forward. You have to understand that the only person responsible for your happiness is you. They didn't do anything magical, it was simply that they brought out a part of you that you didn't expect, and don't know how to 'conjure up' on demand. The more you understand that you control your own happiness, and only you, the better you are able to keep a proper perspective about things, and the less stressful it is to let yourself move forward.

Most Helpful Girl

• My ex was my first love and we met in middle school 6th grade, and we just got together and didn't know anything about each other. We dated for about 5 years and then suddenly he broke up with me out of the blue. He started drinking last summer in 2013 and since then is still on it. I don't want someone that would chose drugs over me. If they want to drink that's on them but I'm not going to come second in his life. I had to wake up seeing my ex everyday when he broke up with me it was like having a broken leg or shot in the heart. I healed though with time it took me about 5-7 months it wasn't easy but it was worth it. I understand you miss but time changes everyone. My ex turned into a jerk and even though he and I go to the same school together we don't' say anything to each other. You will miss him for some time, but with time you will forget him. It could take weeks, days, or even months, or up to a year. Only time can tell you that. He's your ex for a reason whatever way he treated you or whatever it was that ended you guys relationship then he obviously isn't the one for you. My ex is a player he's good at drilling girls in into thinking he likes them. He's good at like bribing girls with sweet names and stuff like that but he's afraid to commitment. I moved on from my ex and so can you, with time. I act like mine doesn't exist and works like a charm, I know it sounds sad and but that's how break ups go. My ex and I never started off as friends so it would be kind of weird for us to be friends. You have learn how to move on, I understand you miss him but you have to move on from him, don't stay stuck in a place where you don't belong your struggling to get out. You'll meet other guys in the future he isn't the only fish in the sea.