How do you break up with someone when there's nothing really wrong with your relationship?

My boyfriend and I have been dating for a couple of years now. We love each other and things have been going well, up until the past few months.

I feel like I've lost almost all of the passion for our relationship. I could list reasons why, most of them involve myself and my own life right now. His life is quite in order, whereas mine is in disarray. I've been a little down in the dumps lately. I want time to get my life back on track, to stay focused.

He's offered to help me whenever I need it, but I find myself not wanting his help. My sex drive has plummeted. I talk to him much less now, in general I've been distant. I do still care about him, but I hate to be in a relationship when my heart's not completely in it.

---------------------------------
TL;DR My questions to you:
I want to break up with my boyfriend, but I have a feeling he isn't going to accept my reason that I don't want to be in a relationship right now.

He's probably going to try to argue or change my mind. If that happens, what should I say or do? Is this a legitimate reason to end things? I just need a break...

14

Most Helpful Guy

• If you've lost interest in the relationship, you need to be honest with him. It's not fair on either of you to drag it on if unless you're both into it.

He won't want to lose you, he'll offer to change, but it takes two to tango and he needs to accept that. It's a question of him being able to love you enough to let you go and try to resolve these problems yourself, because it's not something you can work on together from the sounds of it. Maybe you'll feel better and want to come back, maybe not, but it can't continue like this.

I've been there, it's not an easy situation.

• Thank you. I guess I'm mostly nervous about what he's going to say. He's a very logical thinker and when something seems irrational to him he's not afraid to tear it apart.

• Emotions aren't always rational, you can't always explain why you feel down, trying to analyze it won't work. You're doing a good thing trying to minimize the hurt but it will hurt. It's easy to say you're going to go through with it now and another thing to actually do it when you're face to face. You have to bear that in mind, because during the face to face break up you might promise or be promised all sorts of things, your heart will beg you not to upset the apple cart just to stop the pain as quickly as possible - but nothing will change. I waited too long because of those reasons.