Is my ex unsure of his feelings or just messing with me?

My boyfriend of 10 years broke up with me 4 months ago, we work together so during the past few years we've had a lot of fights (all work related), but other than that we got along great. He broke up with me after a huge fight via text. We kept seeing each other daily because of work and I tried to get him to come back but I got nothing.

About a month after the breakup, I found out he had started seeing an old ex gf just two weeks after we broke up. I freaked out and decided to take some time off from work, one month, which was meant to be NC, but he texted me here and there.
Since comming back to work, things have been very confusing, he says he's in love with this woman, and wants to give it a try with her, yet gives me these long tight hugs every single day when he says 'hello' and 'goodbye', he smells my hair and all, and some times even gives me little kisses on the neck. He says he's very attracted to me, and we ended up having sex once, but that I shouldn't make anything of it, because it's just that he still cares a lot about me.
Basically he's been very hot/cold with me, he says he just wants us to be friends, best friends, but then he goes and hugs me like this, texts me just to say 'Hi' and sends kissing emojis, I'm going out of my mind here. I love him so so much, and want him back with all my heart, but I have no idea what the hell is happening anymore.

Any ideas?

10