Do they record your divorce history?

I was married to my ex-husband for about 4 years. Unfortunately our marriage ended due to we lived apart because we find jobs in different states. Now I meet this AMAZING guy and he agreed to never talk about my past. We're talking about marriage lately. When we get married, will that divorce show up? Do they record your divorce history?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• All marriages are a part of record and when the marriage ends in a divorce or annulment it is recored.

If you enter another marriage without a divorce this is a breach of contract and is a felony.

1|1
    0|0
    • I would enter another marriage and I'm already divorced to my ex-husband. Will they necessary have to bring up my DIVORCE history/record to my future husband? Or can they just check in silence that I'm already divorce and is not bigamy and they will keep quiet about my ended marriage?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, in order to get married you have to provide the divorce decree. This is done to prevent bigamy which is a felony (at least in the US).

1|1
    0|0
    • I'm not bigamy for sure! Do they just chevk to make sure I'm not bygaming or they will show him my divorce history?

• Show All
    • But not talking about your past leaves so many things that can change a person's mind should they find out. Once again shameful or not I'd you love and trust this person complete honesty is paramount for a relationship. But like I said if you don't have that then this house will crumble and it will be divorce number two you got on your hands. I can guarantee you a relationship counselor would say the same thing and should you do marriage counseling and leave this out you are doing both of yourselves a disservice. Because if he will not accept every flaw then you don't need to marry him.

• I also just read in some other comments that you plan on getting married in a church. You do realize that 90% of ministers will not marry you without like 10 hours of marriage counseling and they will ask you that there. Are you going to lie to both a minister and your future husband in a church?
      I mean I know I have done shameful things in the past and plan on telling them to my future life mate when I find him. Because he can say he doesn't mind now, but when he finds out years down the road it will plant a seed of doubt about what else you keep from him which will cause complete and total mistrust. A failed marriage is not that big of a thing and opens so many doors to improve your present relationship by discussing why it failed and how to ensure this one does not.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 2

• Why wouldn't you let him know you are divorced? That's crazy. Yes, it's a matter of public record. You may have to divulge it when getting your license or married in a particular church.

1|1
    0|0
    • Because I told him my past is the worst thing and I'm ashamed of it. He said as long as we love it other he would NEVER EVER want to know about my past if I dont want to.

Seriously? Why? They will show him my divorce history? Can I ask them to delete it since surely I'm not bigamy.

• You'll have to talk to your local marriage license place and your church to find out. I think that' being married before is something you should definitely let your husband know about.

• I've read through a number of the comments, and I think you should probably tell your guy about your divorce. You seem quite afraid to do so--and I think that's exactly why you need to. A good relationship is built on trust and honesty--wanting to withhold, even by agreement, is a poor foundation. And Fear is a very poor foundation. If he really is amazing, he will not judge you for your "horrible" past, as you put it--if he truly loves you, he'll stay. And if he doesn't, wouldn't you want to know that now rather than after getting married?

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 3

• dont you want to have an open and honest relatioship? How can you want to spend the rest of you life with someone that you can not trust to fully love and accept all of you?

0|0
    0|0
    • Because I told him my past is the worst thing and I'm ashamed of it. He said as long as we love it other he would NEVER EVER want to know about my past if I dont want to. We both have an agreement on that and he shall not need to know about that.

• You would have to provide proof of divorce..

1|0
    0|0
    • I divorced him 2 years ago and we did go through all the divorce paperwork and we're officially divorce now! It's really clear! Will they necessary have to bring up my DIVORCE history/record to my future husband? Or can they just check in silence that I'm already divorce and is not bigamy and they will keep quiet about my ended marriage?

• Show All
    • but the first time you two show up together for the license will they show it to him?

• I don't know how that works, call and ask..

• Not sure, I think they do though. But I know that if you are divorced then you aren't allowed to be married in a church

0|0
    0|0
    • What? Why aren't I allow to marry in a church? What the hell? Are you sure?

• Show All
    • I'm positive if you are divorced you can't get married in a church. It is because divorce is against Christian religion. My parents went through it

• What about your ex husband's behavior did you not like?

Regarding getting married in a church, your best bet is to call a church and talk to the pastor. Explain your situation.

Recommended myTakes