Can you ever be friends with an ex?

I tried to be friends with an ex once and it did not go well. Needless to say from that moment on I decided no more attempts at friendship with an ex. What are people's opinions on this?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, but only once you've left eachother alone to mourn the breakup and let the emotions settle. Once both people can honestly say all they want is friendship, then it's doable.
    I'm still friends with my ex from my first serious relationship. We gave it time before we tried doing that. Something like 6 months.
    My ex after her... yea never lol. She's too dishonest. I wanted to be friends with her after but she lied and wanted more, so it came up randomly. Tried being her friend 3 times before calling it quits. She's not capable of being just a friend to an ex, at least not just a friend with me.
    My 3rd ex is also incapable of it, but she was upfront and said that once we broke up so we never even tried.

So far I'm 1 for 3 on maintaining a friendship with an ex. Hopefully it stays that way. I love my girlfriend : )

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I am currently very close and very good friends with an "EX" from a past relationship we had a long time ago. We are very good friends, almost like family and are Each other's Bestie friend.
    I am also currently separated from a husband out in Egypt and although we have our ups and downs, we have Tried just to be 'Friends,' and nothing more, but always end up fighting because we have not yet got passed us still being linked to one another and can't seem to ever Consider ourselves Anything but Friendly... even strangers sometimes with War of the Roses.
    Some people Can and Do become friends with or without benefits after the loving. However, it all depends on your situation and just what fate has for you both, whether it is Friends till the end or enemies on a battle field. xx

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 4

• I think you can but my friendship just faded over time.

0|0
    0|0
  • No unless you want a bumpy ride.. goodluck :)

0|0
    0|0
  • Possible but not likely.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm currently talking to two of them. Both I hate and one I still lust for.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 6

• I've tried but it just can't be possible. Not for me anyway.

I only have 2 ex's though and they both ended on bad terms, being that I found out they cheated on me.
    I've let go of all the pain they caused me from being unfaithful and have attempted several times to be friends but sooner or later they end up flirting with me and make me remember the good times and I end up flirting back. We end up doing stuff and then it becomes awkward again and just drift apart.

0|0
    0|0
  • If you don't care about him then it shouldn't be hard to be their friends but if you do it's going to be more complicated since the feelings are still there.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have blocked both my two exes out of my life for ever. They hurt me bad. I never deserved to be treated like that.
    I now am working on being friends with my new ex... he left a week ago. He doesn't want to lose me, doesn't want me to hate him. He is having stress right now and needed space. I understand. I do, he's not a bad guy at all. But its so hard for me to be friends, I dont know what Im allowed to say. Am I allowed to ask about his family? etc. I know he regretted the rbeak up, I think he will come back. But if he doesn't within a certian time period Im gonna have to walk away from him too. Being friends just isn't healthy. But I know right now his emotions are high and he needs the support and guidance. Why I can't do that and still be together is beyond me. But he is a living breathing chatty cathy doll, always checking on me. But he wanted space... i really dont know.

0|0
    0|0
  • When there's kids involved you don't neccesarly have to stay friends, however you do have to leave the communication open having kids it's a very big responsability and there's always issues arising. . Other than it doesn't really makes sense but some people opt to do it..

0|0
    0|0
  • it doesn't really work, at some point this kind of friendship tends to fade out (in the best scenario) and gets reduced to happy bdays and merry xmases. in the worst cases, you'll see your partner just trying to prove you he's better than your actual bf, he's the best you could ever get, or even maybe better than you, somehow subtly, or with bitchy joking remarks.. if it was them dumping you, tho, more than emotional revenge they'd want to keep a potential shaggy option open. sad huh?

0|0
    0|0
  • Me personally I don't like to have them in my life at all I see them as my past so why have them in my future... some say there is no problem its called being mature.. Others say the only way you are still friends with an ex is either y'all never loved each other or still have feeling for one another everyone sees it different

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes