Can you ever be friends with an ex?

I tried to be friends with an ex once and it did not go well. Needless to say from that moment on I decided no more attempts at friendship with an ex. What are people's opinions on this?

75

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, but only once you've left eachother alone to mourn the breakup and let the emotions settle. Once both people can honestly say all they want is friendship, then it's doable.
    I'm still friends with my ex from my first serious relationship. We gave it time before we tried doing that. Something like 6 months.
    My ex after her... yea never lol. She's too dishonest. I wanted to be friends with her after but she lied and wanted more, so it came up randomly. Tried being her friend 3 times before calling it quits. She's not capable of being just a friend to an ex, at least not just a friend with me.
    My 3rd ex is also incapable of it, but she was upfront and said that once we broke up so we never even tried.

So far I'm 1 for 3 on maintaining a friendship with an ex. Hopefully it stays that way. I love my girlfriend : )

Most Helpful Girl

• I am currently very close and very good friends with an "EX" from a past relationship we had a long time ago. We are very good friends, almost like family and are Each other's Bestie friend.
    I am also currently separated from a husband out in Egypt and although we have our ups and downs, we have Tried just to be 'Friends,' and nothing more, but always end up fighting because we have not yet got passed us still being linked to one another and can't seem to ever Consider ourselves Anything but Friendly... even strangers sometimes with War of the Roses.
    Some people Can and Do become friends with or without benefits after the loving. However, it all depends on your situation and just what fate has for you both, whether it is Friends till the end or enemies on a battle field. xx