Why would an ex still be in contact?

Give you the short...
Long term very serious relationship. Was fantastic. We were in college and both knew we would get married. She ended it and regretted it. A year of on and off followed.
She started talking to a new guy 2 weeks after me, then started dating him two weeks after.
Tried to get her back for a couple months.
She's been dating him for 5-6 months now.
She has texted with me the entire time and initiates conversations often as well.
Why is she still talking with me? And two, should I even be talking with her?
Oh... I still love her and want her back...
And she claims she just wants to be friends...

30

Most Helpful Girl

• She's talking with you because there's a part of her that still wants to be with you and hopes that someday you'll be able to get back together. I think you should stop talking to her as much, just to respect the other guy. Even though it's not what you want, it would still be the best choice because it'll give her time to think about what she really wants and it'll give her a taste of not having you so that she can see what it's like to not be able to talk to you at all. Based on her actions, I'm sure she would still try to talk to you and would come back after she realizes that she's still stuck on you.

• Thank you a lot for the response. Wish there was a private message thing on here so I could talk to you more. I kind of feel like that too. We talk a little bit everyday, and she has this bf. The friend thing seems silly doesn't it? Who wants ex baggage as a friend when your dating someone?
      Do you think I should stop talking with her totally? I don't want to be mean, but if it's what best...

• My username is runcupcakerun. Yeah, I get what you mean. Wish her the best, even though it probably hurts like hell. After she and the other guy break up (I'm sure they will, because she's still talking to someone she has a history with... it's just a matter of time), she'll remember that you were really selfless by looking out for her before yourself and respectful by backing off when she had someone new. She has to know that it's not easy for you at all, and it's kind of a jerk move for her to keep talking to you and essentially leading you on. I'm not trying to attack her or anything, but it is kind of selfish for her to keep talking to you and having a new boyfriend. she can't have her cake and eat it too.

• You know I would say something... But I poured my heart out so many times in the beginning... I don't think I could take anything more. Plus I flip flopped like 5 times trying to do that before. I think I'm just going to try to not respond, and then I would tell her if she asks and then continue
      Think she might realize what she's missing if I do that?